The Journey

The Draigana. Believed to be a people with the power to change shape, the first to have made peace with the dragons.

Once, the world was great in the minds of the humans, and they were at war with the dragons. The conflict had long since evolved into a mutual massacre, but neither race wavered in their attempts to destroy each other. It wasn't until the Draigana intervened that the warring was brought to a halt.

Even we did not know the origin of our race, but we forged a link between the nations, calming them and keeping their rival empires at peace. When our aid brought the human kingdom to its height, however, they turned upon us and destroyed what was once our homes as well. Since then, the dragons have set off to look for uninhabited land they would not have to fight over, and the human race had degenerated to several feudal states, all wanting control over the rest.

For those of us who survived the initial wave, most accompanied the dragons to find a place to live in peace. Others gathered to hidden havens of old, long since frozen over by the ice that moved down the mountains. My brother believes, as do I, that they have perished. As far as we knew, we were the only ones to go unnoticed within the humans' cities, the only ones who truly remembered.

Like they used to, humans turned the power of belief to their advantage. The other races were dangerous, they said, and only by the grace of their rulers were the humans able to live in peace from the Draigana and Fey and Lycans that supposidely lurked outside their societies.

My mother was a proud woman according to my older brother; she had kept us hidden from the humans until one fateful night when they had found our cave. I believe he still misses her. Like the father I also never really heard about, he has an almost fanatical protectiveness of myself as I was the younger sister. Though he was a hard teacher and a jealous brother, I loved him dearly.

So when he was killed by human bandits nigh on thirty years ago, it would have been understandable to those who knew me to take my revenge in full force against the humans and their cities. A fledgling like myself could just as easily take on a whole company with relatively minor injuries. But I was not that stupid.

I decided it was time to move on.

My brother's death made it clear to me that I could not survive in the human world as I was doing now. If I were any more kind to those I encountered, I would find my throat slit in a gutter. And I had a difficult nature to change.

And so I took the only option left open to me: journeying to my people's havens, hoping against hope that I could live and learn for the rest of my life in relative peace. I wanted to make the trip alone, but fate was never that compliant.

This is my story. This is my journey.