Complications

A.N: I will try to elongate my chapters by request of my fans, since you guys were so adamant about it for a while. I may also have to take longer with my other chappys in the fanfics the others are looking out for.

Sorry for taking so long for those who actually like this book. I usually work on request of my fans, so if you want this to be updated sooner, let your comments overpower the ones for my other stories!

By the way, read the others if you are so inclined. I need constructive criticism with all of them.

Enjoy!

****Original POV****

It had been several days now since we first began to travel together. The thought that I would have companions never really occurred to me until little Megaera unwittingly referred to me as 'sister' one night around the fire.

It was that particular word that made me resigned to their presence wherever I was going to go. Perhaps they would not really see the sense of my wandering north over the mountains, but it was important to me. And where a kinswoman (even adopted) of hers was concerned, the little Draigana and her brother had surprisingly the same views.

Even as I Shifted and curled my body around the two for warmth, I could feel Leon leaning his head against my side, silently reassuring me with this gesture. Not that I needed it, but still. Only my brother had done that before.

At the thought of him, grief welled up in my chest. Oh, Kreon, I thought to myself. He would have welcomed the two of them the moment they spoke to me. Sure, humans were not the best creatures to associate with in his eyes, but he trusted any other of our kind without reserve. I personally thought it foolish to be so biased.

Ah, well, the past is past. And I have more to worry about now than I did before. My tail tightened around me like a cat's while I kept my senses open. We were dangerously near the sanctuary of a Fey tribe, and they would not appreciate the presence of our kind on their grounds.

The moment the siblings awoke, I was going to hustle them out tail over snout if I had to. Fey magic was dangerous for Draigana who didn't know what they were doing, and no amount of preparation without years of experience would protect Megaera from that. Leon was probably more experienced because of his age, but I wasn't going to take any chances. Lycans were easier to deal with than a nonplussed Fey with even a century under his belt.

I kept watch for half the night, then closed my eyes as the moon reached its zenith. The darkness had been lengthening as we went on, yet those two were still used to rising with the sun. 

Like I had always done ever since my brother's demise, I awoke after the set amount of hours that I couldn't go without. Still maintaining my more alert form (the two-legged one was surprisingly insensitive), I sniffed the air for intruders. First with my nose, then flicking my tongue out like a snake. I was not quite pleased when Kreon first told me about certain evolutionary traits dragons shared with the limbless reptiles, but I grew to appreciate the advantages.

There were no dangerous smells in the air; naturally, because the Fey usually assimilated so completely into their chosen environment that absolutely no creature would be able to tell the difference. I had no other way of telling where they were from a distance.

They were, however, watching.

Instinctive awareness for other creatures was always something Draigana felt at the back of their minds. And they were different from each other as clearly to us as the humans were different from ourselves. The consciousness I felt focusing on our little group was distinctly Fey, as predisposed to courtesy as it was to savagery. Just like the land they shared with us.

Quickly I tucked my flexible neck into my wing where the siblings slept, and hurriedly nudged Leon to wake him. The boy simply shifted his position to get more comfortable, and I snorted in frustration.

Stupid male doesn't know what he's gotten himself into while flying! I thought savagely. He had taken the lead in several of the flights nearing a place to rest for the night. Since he obviously knew what to look for (and he was at least half my size bigger), I let him fly in front of me. In my foolishness I believed Leon was likely to know what on this frozen earth he was doing. Unlike what his size had suggested, he probably wasn't that much older than myself. And with only a quarter of a century of travel experience . . . I winced.

Perhaps I should not have been so confident.

A fierce gale whipped through the clearing between us as the Fey began to emerge from the snow-laden evergreens. Dressed in the glossy black armor they were famous for aside from the silver-embossed clan symbol on their breastplate, the warriors were wary in the way they circled around me.

Before they could think of approaching me, however, the night was pierced by several deep-throated growls from the other side of the forest.

~

I know, don't judge me. I just can't seem to lengthen the chapters here in this particular story.