iii. the one where the truth comes out

❝ i love you

i love you. you love another

❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

                    oliver held the ice to the side of his jaw. the two boys were sat in the nurses office, peter twiddling his thumbs together in the chair by the door. "you're lucky you didn't get a concussion" ms. brown said, flashing the small torchlight into oliver's eyes. "no more playing hero okay? either of you" she said and patted oli on the shoulder before turning to look at peter. "good to have you back mr. parker." and with that she was walking out the door, leaving the two best friends by themselves. oliver took the ice off his jaw and opened it to speak, but a jab of pain stopped him from doing so. "i'm so sorry oli. i'm sorry that i left you without explanation and i didn't respond to your messages. i'm so so sorry. but this internship, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and i couldn't let it slip through my fingers. i had to do what tony asked me to." peter was rambling on and on and oliver couldn't stand it.

"just please stop talking peter. please." his jaw was in pain every time he moved it to speak but he didn't want to listen to peter and he had to get his point across somehow. "stop lying. stop playing games with me i'm not an idiot. i know that tony stark was in germany and i know that if you were actually at stark towers you would have sent me at least a million photos of the place. you would have said something about it! he's your idol. you've wanted to work with him for years it's all you ever talked about" oliver said, his eyes had not left peter, even though the other boy was continuing to look at the floor. peter reached his hand behind his head and scratched at his neck, "it was classified. mr. stark said i couldn't talk about it to anyone." oliver frowned a him, his heart sinking. "you're lying peter. you only scratch your neck when you're lying."

oliver collected his jacket and backpack off the floor, discarding the ice pack in the sink as he stood up and moved towards the door. he looked down at his so-called best friend and sighed. "i'll see you at harry's tonight. i have to go." and with that he pushed the door open and walked into the hallway, tears threatening to spill from his eyes as he stormed towards the exit.

                    oliver didn't know how many drinks he'd had. he was doing everything he could to numb the pain that kept searing through him every time peter crossed his mind. which was more often than not. so he kept drinking. taking shots of anything that anyone offered him. there were so many people in the apartment. normally oli would have felt claustrophobic but his mind was somewhere else. harry's apartment was huge and he hadn't seen peter yet so maybe there was an upside to the incessant amount of people in such a large space. his hair was stuck to his forehead with sweat and he felt hot all over. but it was good. it was a good warmth, the kind that he hadn't felt in quite a while. he'd seen gwen wander off somehwhere with flash earlier and he already knew exactly what was going on.

oliver was the only one that knew about the little thing that was going on with peter's worst enemy and his pink-haired best friend. gwen had told him a while ago and he'd hoped that her good nature would change him in some way but so far there was no hope. gwen thought differently though, she had faith in him. which was odd considering the way he'd treated peter since the beginning of high school, but if gwen saw hope then oliver would stand by her no matter what. the boy was sitting in the living room, watching sweaty bodies mingle and teenagers grind on each other. he didn't want to move because there was a chance that if he did then he'd run into peter. and that was the last thing that he wanted.

he felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned to see the slightly blurry face of harry osbourne looming over him. "hey dude peter's looking for you" he said and oliver groaned, running his hands through his sweaty hair and looking up at his friend. "harry. i really can't right now. i'm- i'm so drunk and i genuinely can't even think about him right now, let alone speak to him." harry leaped over the back of the couch and sat down next to oliver. "oli. he's torn up. he hasn't stopped whining about you since this afternoon and i don't think he'll let up until you talk to him. it doesn't matter if you're drunk because i'm pretty sure he is too. just go in and listen to what he has to say, that's all you have to do." oliver knew that he was right. harry was pretty much always right and it annoyed the absolute fuck out of him.

"is he in your room?" oliver asked, trying his best to push himself up off the couch without falling face first onto the coffee table in front of him. harry nodded and stood up beside his friend, walking with him to weave his way through the throbbing crowd of people. oliver recognised the halls from the times that he'd spent wandering them as a kid. he knew where harry's room was but he also knew that he probably wouldn't have found the room without the boy guiding him to it. oliver turned to his friend and gave him a soft smile before opening the door and stepping inside.

peter was sat on the end of harry's bed, his head in his hands and his shoulders shaking. oliver fucking hated it when peter cried. he could never stay mad at him because he'd end up crying along side his best friend. oliver wiped his hand over his face and shut the door behind him, causing peter's head to shoot up and look at oliver dead in the eye. "oli." his voice was practically broken. he was practically broken. his eyes were red and puffy and filled with tears and his hair was sticking up all over the place. oliver waddled over to the desk chair, trying his best not to look at peter as he did so.

"oli please talk to me" peter pleaded, shuffling forward on the bed. "i don't want to talk. i want you to talk. i want you to tell me the truth" oliver said, twirling his fingers together anxiously. "i did" peter said, looking only at oliver. "i meant what i said when i told you that mr. stark was working on a confidential project with me. i can't talk about it. trust me, i wish that i could but i can't. i don't like keeping things from you but mr. stark trusts me and i really need this internship oli. please." there was so much pain in his voice and oliver could feel the tears welling up behind his eyes already. he stood up and moved towards the bed, sitting beside peter and looking at him in the eyes. "i love you pete. i love you so much that if anything happened to you i don't know what i would do. you've been there through everything. but i feel like that's changed. i feel like i don't know who you are anymore."

oliver couldn't hold back the tears as he sobbed to his best friend. his eyes were burning from the alcohol that was mixed in with his tears but he couldn't stop them from coming. "i love you too oli" peter said, reaching for oliver's hand. the blonde boy flinched and pulled away slightly. peter spoke the words and he meant them, he just didn't mean them the way that oliver did and before oliver could stop himself he was blurting words out again. "no pete. you don't get it. i'm in love with you. i love you more than a friend loves a friend. i don't know when it happened, but it did and i can't stop it. i wish i could stop it but i can't and i'm sorry." peter shuffled back, moving away from oliver with a shocked look cast over his face. "oli i-" "it's okay peter i get it. i'm really sorry." and then oliver was standing and stumbling out the door, doing the same thing that peter did only a week ago.

❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

author's note!
hello my name is satan and i would like a ticket to hell
thanks. also this was a really shitty chapter lmao sorry.