Ain't Too Proud to Beg

I drew back and tried to back away from Phillip. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me closer to him. When he let go of me, I ran to the door, but he was faster than me. He locked the door. He had a crazed look in his eyes and he seemed like a different person. The man put his hands around my throat and began to squeeze. I tried to remove his hands, but I wasn't able to. The room started to spin and turn black. I was afraid of dying and I could think about was my loving husband James. All of a sudden Phillip let go of my neck. I tried to yell, but nothing came out. Phillip started to laugh and walked over to me and started to choke me again. I knew that this time, I wouldn't be able to get out of this. I remember hearing the doorknob start to wiggle and hearing someone's voice. The last thing I remember before blacking out was seeing someone running toward Phillip.I woke up in a hospital bed and my husband was sitting next to me. I tried to talk, but nothing would come out. James explained to me that my vocal cords had been damaged when Phillip had attacked me. A doctor came into the room and he introduced himself as Dr. Fisher. He said I would have to stay in the hospital for a few more days.

 A few hours later I fell asleep, when I woke up I saw my mother and father sitting on a couch in my room. My mother looked she had aged ten years, but my father looked the same. I was so overwhelmed that I started to cry. My mother just held me while I cried. She told me about things were back in Lexington. How my heart longed to back home with my family and friends. She told me that my sister Josie had her baby and it was a girl and they had named the baby Veronica Charlotte Taylor . I was so excited for my sister but I longed to be a mother. A few hours later my mother left the room went to get something to eat. I sat up in my hospital bed and looked out the window. Cincinnati was a busy city with something always happening. Charlotte heard a knock on the door and looked away from the window and towards the door.  It was my father and he wanted to talk to me. Growing up  my father and I got along, but we didn't really say much to each other. "How is my little girl doing?"  Charlotte smiled. She started tell him about what had been going on in her life. Her father sat there and listened attentively.  After she had told him everything, her father just smiled. "I am so proud of you and everything you have accomplished in your life so far." About a hour later I heard a knock on the door. It was my employer Mrs. Dewey. She sat in a chair next to my bed.  "I wanted to apologize for my nephew Phillip. I knew he had problems, but I never thought he would do what he did." Mrs Dewey begged me to come back to work for her.

"I hope you will come back to work for me, that is if you want to. I completely understand if you don't want to. I also want to say that I feel a little bit safer when you are working. I spent my life living in fear, especially when The Cincinnati Strangler was on the loose. You have inspired to live my life again."  Charlotte listened to Mrs. Dewey talk about her childhood and how she grew in Philadelphia. When it was time for her to leave she asked Mrs. Dewey what her first name was. Mrs. Dewey turned around and said "Sarah."