7. Truth Will Out

The following day could easily be added to the coming version of ‘Hogwarts – A History’ – at least, in Fred’s opinion. Breakfast started off normal, everyone took their seats at around the same time, since it was a normal school day. James, Michel and Fred looked around the entire time, waiting for hell to break loose. Some 6th and 7th years students looked at the food and the sweet suspiciously. They probably vaguely remembered it from a long time ago, when these products were still popular. Some of the elder students had whispered conversations with one another, pointing at the sweets with a questioning look on their faces. None of them grabbed one of the colorful packed sweets.

The first- and second years weren’t as reluctant, it didn’t take long till they heard a little ‘plop’. A small Hufflepuff girl was very true to her house colors now: She was covered in large yellow feathers and she yelled – no, cheeped – that somebody had to help her.

Ironically on that very moment several other ‘plops’  were to be heard. A few other canaries now mingled in the back of the Great Hall. Other students had unstoppable nose bleeds and huge swollen tongues. Some even fainted over the table, their faces lying in their breakfast. One second year from Slytherin must have been extremely hungry, for he looked like a large bleeding canary who couldn’t stop puking.

Of course everyone soon stopped eating and looked around instead, so not many children were the victim of the prank. Nonetheless, Fred, James and Michel had the time of their lives. Some of the other students had to laugh too, others were disgusted, but that was mostly because of the puking pastilles.

Spurcus just returned from the Trophy Room with a mop in his one and a bucket of water in his other hand, probably hoping to be able to clean up the mess. Most of the teachers were running to and fro, handing the sick students the healing part of the candy. Professor Bonmodus from Potions seemed to be in a particulary good mood, he had a good sense of humor and even winked at James and Fred with a grin on his face.

Unfortunately, not all teachers were amused. Professor Longbottom was talking to Professor McGonagall, who was headmaster of Hogwarts. It didn’t take long till Professor Longbottom walked toward the Gryffindor table, straight at our prankers.

“So, boys. I think we all know who was responsible for this. Don’t we?”  He looked from James to Fred and back.

Both of the boys knew it was useless to deny it, so they just laughed. Michel, who wasn’t accused of anything, had a bit of a sad look on his face.

“I’m sorry to say this… But 10 points from Gryffindor. For each of you.”  Professor Longbottom pointed at the two boys.

“And what kind of detention do we get?”  Michel butted in.

Professor Longbottom looked at him, surprised. “What? You’re not telling me you were part of this too?”

Michel nodded, as if he was proud he was about to get detention.

“Well, uhm…” Professor Longbottom was hesitating for a moment. “Since you’re a Gryffindor too and I’m your Head of House, 10 points from Gryffindor for you too. And you’ll surely get detention.”

“Thanks, Michel.” Fred and James said sarcastically.

In the meanwhile the Great Hall had calmed down a bit. Spurcus was already diligently mopping the floor while the students headed to their lessons or (for those still covered in blood, puke or feathers) their common room. Professor McGonagall had followed professor Longbottom to the Gryffindor table and was now standing near the boys. The bright eyes in her aging face twinkled.

“I can’t ignore the rules, so punishment is necessary.” Her thin lips curved into a slight smile. “But you’re just like your dad and your uncle. They would be proud if they’d seen this 20 years ago.”

Professor Longbottom couldn’t hide a smile.

Only a week later James was standing in front of the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, alone. It was about 2pm, lessons were in progress at that very moment. James should be at his History of Magic lesson right now, but he’d asked professor Binns if he could go to the toilet – that seemed to become a standard excuse for him now. Now he just had to wait.

When the school bell rang, he looked at the door of the classroom expectantly. Soon the door opened and a group of fifth years Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs came out, some recognized James and greeted him. James nodded and made his way into the classroom.

A man with black messy hair was packing his small briefcase, his back was to the door so he didn’t see James coming.

“Dad?” James called out.

The man turned around. “Well, well. If it isn’t our James. Enjoying detention, are we?” James knew his dad would give a lecture in Defence Against the Dark Arts that day, he thought that was the perfect time for this conversation, since this would probably be the only time he’d see him before the holidays.

 “It isn’t that bad. We have to clean parts of  the castle without using magic.” James laughed. “I thought it’d be far worse, cleaning everything with a toothbrush or something like that.”

Harry grinned.

“No really, James, what you did was very irresponsible. You were very lucky your mum didn’t send another Howler your way.”

“Yeah dad, I know. I will never ever do it again and I’m very sorry.”

Harry raised a brow. “You don’t mean a word of what you’re saying, do you?”

“Not really.”

“You are so much like your granddad.” Harry shook his head. “But if you didn’t come here to apologize, why are you here?”

“Well, I wanted to ask something.” James looked up to his dad and continued. “That night, in the Kitchens, we had the Marauder’s Map with us.” He took the Map out of his pocket and gave it to his dad. “I’m giving it back by the way. I shouldn’t have stolen it.”

His dad took the Map and pointed his wand at it. “Mischief Managed.” The letters on the front disappeared. James was amazed.

“Wait… Where did everything go?”

Harry laughed and quickly explained how to make the letters appear and disappear. Afterwards he gave the Map back to his son. “I got the Map in my third year too, so I think it is only fair for you to have it. If,” He added quickly, “you promise to use it with more responsibility from now on!”

James gladly took the map. “Thanks dad! But I don’t think it works properly.”

“What?” Harry said. “What makes you think that?”

“That night in the Kitchens, I saw something that isn’t possible. I think the map lied to me.”

“The map never lies!” Harry said, quoting his favorite DADA teacher of all time.

“It must have!” James insisted.

“What did you see then? What did the map show you?”

James took a breath.

“I saw Fred Weasley. Twice.”