Seven

I quieted my footsteps and my breathing as I drew closer, opening my ears as I tried to figure out what was going on.

A low rumble of voices caught my attention, but I couldn't quite make out the words. I slowed down and clutched a tree as I pushed all my focus into what I was hearing.

I could hear a low, threatening growl but the only thing that accompanied it was slow cautious footsteps. They hadn't found him yet.

I crept closer, careful to stay downwind of the vile creatures. Their scent was strong, almost overpowering, but I could just make out the slightest scent of Jesse in the mix.

Jesse smelled a bit like rain water, so if you didn't know him, it'd be quite difficult to distinguish him from the forest. He was probably using that to his advantage.

I was close enough to see the wolves in the back now, so I hid partially behind a tree and watched the scene unfold.

Some of the rogues were in human form, walking alongside the wolves with concentrated looks on their dirty faces. Their eyes flitted in every direction, searching for the boy they could barely smell.

As I studied them, I noticed that none of the ones in human form had clothes that fit quite right. Some were baggy while others a bit too tight. They probably got them from some of their victims. By now, all the clothes were covered in a bit of grime, just as their owners were. It was a tedious life to live, and I found myself once again internally thanking this pack for taking me in.

I tore my gaze away from the human rogues to examine the others. The wolves themselves looked quite vulgar. Dark, matted fur, sticky with blood and sweat platted their backs, and mangled scars decorated their faces. Their eyes were a soulless black and their yellow teeth twisted in wicked snarls, drool dribbling from their lips.

I almost shuddered at the sight.

One of the wolves snarled then, and the others responded with growls of their own. They were looking up.

I followed their gaze up the tree to find Jesse standing precariously at the top, staring down at the group. He looked pretty terrified up there, though he was certainly trying to hide it.

The rogues in human form grinned up at him. One stepped forward and spoke.

"You can come down boy," he said, "We don't bite."

There were a couple snickers from the others. The man's grin spread even wider.

"Oh wait," he spoke again, "I guess we do."

I looked back up at Jesse to see him clutching the tree trunk tightly. He was pretty high up. The branches up there were pretty thin, which meant he might not have long before they break under the stress of his weight.

One of the wolves stepped up now, the biggest of the bunch, and henceforth, probably the Alpha.

A deep growl rumbled in his throat, making Jesse cower in his spot, eyes clenched shut as he tried to resist the dominance the Alpha had over him.

I mentally cursed a bit. Jesse hasn't had nearly enough training for a situation like this. What had Theta Benjamin been thinking?

The Alpha turned his head to the man who'd spoken earlier and nodded in the direction of the tree.

The man grinned again before climbing up the tree.

No.

Before I could think about what I was doing, I stepped out of my hiding spot and growled, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size!"

The group turned all eyes on me and I cracked my shoulder in preparation, clenching my fists and glaring daggers at them all. But before anything could happen, the Alpha stepped forward and shifted.

The man that stood before me made my blood turn to ice in my veins.

"Look who it is," he grinned wickedly, not having the slightest care that he was naked in front of a large group of people, "I thought I smelled something familiar."

I scowled at that. It was because of this man, my parents were dead. Because of him, I am the way I am. He did this to me. He made me into this monster.

"Donovan," I spat. This man ruined my life. And now here he was, standing before me once more.

He tapped his chin thoughtfully as he studied me, "What was you're name again?" he asked, "I'm afraid I'm not very good with faces."

I closed my eyes and repeatedly clenched and unclenched my fist as I tried to calm down my wolf. I couldn't give in.

And the thing was, this time, I wasn't fighting off my wolf's desire to kill. No, this time, I was fighting off the urge to go to this man. Donovan was the Alpha who made me a werewolf. For that, my wolf has pledged it's loyalty to him. Even though I disagree with it.

"Ah, yes. The human boy from the park. What was your name?" he squinted in thought, "Mike? No, Mark. Mark, wasn't it?"

I growled in warning. I hadn't told the details of my past to very many people, for good reason.

Donovan grinned, "Ah, yes. Still fighting it I see," he turned his head to the side, "Don't worry. We'll get you all sorted out, won't we boys?"

They nodded and grinned in anticipation.

"I want him alive."

With those words, all Hell ensued.