Twenty One

The air outside was already growing darker, even as the lights of the city created a hazy glow that stretched far above and beyond it. The sun was setting, and before long, the moon would have full power over me. I could not be in the city when that happened.

Knowing my chances of catching a cab were slim, I turned in a random direction and started running. Sooner or later, this maze of streets would lead me out of the city.

One of the perks of being a werewolf was extended endurance, which I was very thankful for as I ran through a forest of metal and men.

My breath turned to steam in the air as the cool night descended, but I pressed on. I ran until every inhale was painful. I ran until my legs shook. I ran until skyscrapers gave way to the suburbs and until the suburbs gave way to dirt roads and trees.

I ran until I found myself in a forest, and then I dropped to my knees.

Even as my body twisted and cracked, I tried to drag myself further across the ground.

I was afraid.

I was afraid that I had not gone far enough. I was afraid that my wolf would still find his way back to the city and kill all those people. I was afraid he would go after her. Amelia.

I was also afraid that I was too close to the people who might live out here. I didn't know these woods. I didn't know if there was a cabin just on the other side of those trees.

I didn't want to hurt anybody.

Rolling into my back and looking up to the moon, I felt myself pleading to it once more.

"I need your help," I spoke to the Moon Goddess as my bones started to shift. "Don't let him hurt anyone."

I screamed through clenched teeth as my spine twisted. Throwing my backpack to the side, I reached up with one arm and tried to pull my shirt over my head. It was difficult, but I managed to toss it towards my pack. After that I shakily kicked off my shoes and undid the button on my pants.

When the rest of my clothes had been removed, I curled up in the leaves of the forest and concentrated solely on my mate.

I pictured her beautiful face in full detail. Pale skin was framed intricately by black, raven like hair. The purple streak in her hair matched perfectly with the lavender irises that looked straight into my soul. I pictured the slope of her nose, the angle of her cheekbones, and hell, I even pictured the little silver stud in her nose. Then I pictured her full, perfect lips, and how they might look when a genuine smile took over her face.

It was a sight I had yet to see, but the image gave me hope.

With my mate pictured clearly in my mind, I relaxed my body and let the transformation rip through me.

Hair sprouted from my skin, my nails and teeth elongated, my bones churned and rolled beneath my skin, and my skin itself stretched to accommodate my new bone structure.

Malachi now had full control over my body. Exhausted from the transformation, I let myself rest in the back of our shared mind and simply sent my wolf thoughts of Amelia Moon in hopes that it would remind him to behave.

It wasn't hard. Amelia wouldn't leave my mind. Therefore, sending those thoughts of her to Malachi was relatively simple, as long as he lowered the wall between us enough to let them get through.

Thankfully, something must have worked, because all he did that night was stalk a deer through the forest.

When dawn finally broke, I morphed back and found my way back to my possessions.

I barely had enough time to pull on my pants before I passed out from exhaustion.

^^^°^^^

Lilac. The scent of lilac and cotton drifted to me on the breeze and I followed it through the forest. It led me on a crooked and winding path through trees with dark bark and grey leaves. There was no telling where it would take me, but I put my faith in it blindly.

It was a beautiful scent, and nothing that beautiful could be dangerous. Right?

I walked for what felt like days, but the full moon never strayed from its place in the sky. As I noticed this, I looked down at myself and realized I was not in wolf form.

How was it possible for me to be free on a night like this?

Pushing the question aside for later, I closed my eyes and followed her scent further into the dark wood.

Where was she leading me?

"Marcus," her ethereal voice echoed through the night. I snapped my eyes open to see my beautiful mate standing at the edge of a placid pond.

She wore an elegant lavender gown that looked like it was made of silk. It made her look like a goddess standing in the pale moonlight.

"Marcus," her voice called again, and when my eyes fell back on her face, I noticed she had turned to face me.

"Amelia," I breathed with a relieved tone of voice.

"Come," she said once more before she started to fall. I watched with wide eyes as she plummeted into the water. It did not splash when she reached the surface, but instead swallowed her whole. Nothing but a faint ripple took her place.

Rushing to the water's edge, I looked down in search of my mate but saw only my face and the moon reflected back at me.

She was gone.

Reaching out slowly, I lowered my fingertips to the surface of the still water.

I nearly touched it when my eyes snapped open.

Sitting up with a sharp inhale, I looked around and realized I had fallen asleep in an unknown forest. Looking around me, I spotted my backpack and my shirt on the ground.

Quickly tugging my shirt and shoes back on, I slung my bag over my shoulder and began to walk aimlessly through the forest. It would be best for me to ride out the remainder of the gibbous moon here, where I could not harm anyone. My mate would not be going anywhere, so, even though my body ached to be beside her, she would have to wait.

For a few days, at least.

Until it was safe.