Chapter 5

When I woke up the next morning I was still in my closet, my body was stiff and my eyes were sore. It took a while to drift off last, I just kept hoping that Drake would get so annoyed with me sometime making all the noise and moping and take me back home, but he hasn’t yet so either he has a lot more patience than I believe does or he just wants to make me suffer.

I sat up on the sofa and rubbed at my eyes deciding that it would be better to face the day clean and in actual clothes then sit around in slutty lingerie I got up and wondered into my bathroom, this time opting for a shower instead. I used the shower gel grudgingly - remembering how much Drake enjoyed the fact that I smelt of him last night but it’s the only type he put in here, that or he took the rest out.

When I came out back into the closet still in my towel a thought had occurred to me – maybe if I play along for a little while and let him think I’ve been bought into this new act he’s got going, he’ll let me go.

So instead of looking at my closet with disgust as I did before I started to look at it as an asset. I surveyed the racks and finally picked out a black of the shoulder dress that came to mid thigh like most things in here. It was almost toga like in the shape so I picked up a very thin white belt and did it up just under my bust line to make it fit my curves, I looked over at the shoe racks with their many mnay heels but I stayed bare foot because I know for a fact he likes that I’m smaller than him, I personally think it’s because he likes to feel superior.

When  I was done with getting dressed I sat at the vanity dresser and took a lot of care with my makeup and hair which I curled lightly for a change.

Eventually I braved the actual bedroom again but I knew he wasn’t there because I always know when he is. As soon as I saw the window I had to fight the urge to smash it and run again but if I want to get out of here I’m just going to have to be patient and play the game too.

It’s boring in here! But I wouldn’t try the door because I’m ninety nine percent sure that it’s locked and I don’t want him to think that I’m still trying to get away.

I have plenty of things to think about still like Milly, whether or not she knew if the council were going to kill me. I hoped that she didn’t but I also know that Milly is above all practical so if she truly believed that I was going to be miserable for the rest of my life she might just put me out of my misery.

I’m pretty sure that when we talked about it – me getting split from Drake, that she would’ve told me, she would’ve at least warned me right? I mean I am her friend, at least I think I am and she if she did know that they were going to kill me she didn’t seem too cut up about it.

I moved my hand reflexively to my crucifix because I was thinking about her but when my hand clutched at nothing I remembered that I’d had to take it off before the hearing because there was a vampire elder who would’ve been insulted by it, I didn’t think to pack it because I assumed that I wouldn’t need it anymore once Drake and I lost interest in each other after the ‘separation’... I still think about if it would’ve been painful, I mean it is a part of your soul that they’re slicing away.

“Charlotte”? I turned around at the surprised call and found Drake clutching at the bedroom door.

“Yes”?

“You look, nice” I wanted to roll my eyes at his awkwardness which is not his usual bag at all but I put it down to the fact that he’s surprised I’d come out on my own, also that fact that I want to get out of here means I have to play it nice.   

“Thank you” I muttered turning back to the window – I can’t be too nice otherwise he’ll catch on and I may just choke on my own words.

It took a while before he said anything again and because he is clinically dead I didn’t hear any breaths or movements that weren’t my own so for all I knew he’d gone, but again I always know when he’s near.