I.II

Draco and his mother sat together in silence as they awaited their empty plates to be taken away from their sight

Draco and his mother sat together in silence as they awaited their empty plates to be taken away from their sight. They had gone out to dinner, a request from his mother, whom he could never deny.

The woman was dressed in black, a blazer and skirt ensemble to match the pointed toe pumps that latched to her frail feet. Her hair, white and black was pulled back into a low bun and bangs hanging loosely into front of her forehead. She observed the people around her, muggles they were, but they seemed to amuse her with any little thing they did.

When she had told Draco of where she wanted to go he was nothing less than surprised to hear it, assuring her she knew that it was a muggle restaurant, but she insisted. So there they were, sitting in silence at the end of their meal to let the food process as the check was to come. Draco sat back, clutching his cup of wine in one hand and the other resting still on the table. He swiveled the drink around in the cup, watching the liquid spin and spin so closely to the edge of the top and then stopping; and he did this consistently.

"Draco." His mother spoke softly, prompting him to look her way with undivided attention.

Narcissa looked to her folded hands on her lap, hands that were now starting to wrinkle with age, and she shifted in her chair. Draco was confused by her odd behavior, clear that something was on her mind but not just coming out and saying it like she usually did with him. They hardly ever kept secrets from each other.

"Mother what's got you?" Draco asked, placing the cup further away from him so the he could fold his arms on the table and lean closer to her.

"I think you should listen to your father, about Daphne and Mr. Huff... I think- I think it would be good for you, for us, for your father."

Draco rolled his eyes and looked away, resting on an old married couple. They were silent, eating their food in peace, and though they weren't smiling, Draco knew that they were happy. The old woman then suddenly looked up and flung a carrot at him, it took the old man aback for a second until he laughed and flung a pea at her.
Oh yes, they were very much still in love.

"You know you shouldn't always have to sacrifice for him, because I know you don't like them either."

Draco said smoothly, looking back at his mother and wondered, does she still love my father? But how much could they know about love even if they did in their own way, because here they were asking Draco to try and marry someone he didn't know anything about, much less wanted to.

"I think their lovely people, their beliefs are another thing, but I think the times are changing."

"Mother I don't know, this is the use of a woman and her feelings." Draco had made an excuse. True, now that he had matured he respected women all the more, and it was all due to his mother, but the real reason was because he had no interest in being one with someone. How could he, when he couldn't be one within himself.

"We aren't saying you should marry her, just get to know her... We're having dinner with them this weekend anyhow, then would be the time to introduce yourself. To Daphne and Mr. Huff."

"The department head is going to be there?" Draco quizzed, and his mother nodded with a sigh.

"Yes, and we've talked you up with him, so please be on your best." She pleaded, squinting her eyes as if doing this would make him understand her desperation. Draco looked at his mother fondly, fully understanding the need and desire she wanted for her and this family. Even though Draco didn't think this was a great idea, he knew that his mother was hardly wrong, and if this was to make her happy than this is what Draco was going to do. He looked away, rubbing his mouth with his hand and sighing.

"Alright, I'll go," He told his mother, looking into eyes that were so much like his if not exactly, and tried to smile.

"But I'm not doing it for father, I'm doing it for you... Don't tell me otherwise or I might not go through with it."

Narcissa chuckled, brokenly, but it was still the faintest of happy. She extended her hand to him, and he placed his cold hand into her warm one so that she could lightly squeeze his hand. Her son, once upon a time was full of smiles and so cheery, and now, sitting there clad in a black turtle neck was a man. He wasn't full of smiles but she knew he still loved her if not more now that he understood the world of a grown up, her world. Again, not full of smiles like her once little boy, but Draco would always be her son.

"Thank you Draco."