Twenty

NEVAEH

Chris's ringing phone was turning me off, so I climbed off of him and answered it, leaving him with a semi-hard dick.

"What the fuck, Vae?!" He yelled.

I shushed him and spoke into the phone. "Mr. Browns's phone," I said.

"Who is this?" Mama Joyce asked.

"Hi, Mama. It's Nevaeh."

"Oh! Hello, hun! Is Chris around? I really need to speak to him."

"It's your mom," I told Chris as I handed him the phone. As he talked with his mom, I cleaned myself up and checked my phone, realizing I had missed three calls from the twins.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NEVAEH!" They screamed on the voicemail. "We're headed your way, so call us when you get this message. Bye!"

Right when I was about to call them back, Chris had come back into the room. His entire demeanor had changed. He wouldn't even look me in the face.

"If I wasn't so busy fuckin' you all the damn time, I'd know some shit. Thanks a lot, Nevaeh." He mumbled.

I scoffed. "Instead of blaming me for shit, the least you could do is tell me what the hell is wrong!"

He sighed. "Royalty's sick. Mama said she's got some kind of cold. Remia wasn't gone tell Mama at first because she wanted to use this as another get-rich-quick scheme."

Not baby girl, I thought as I held back tears.

"Is she gonna be alright?"

"Ion know. I just hate that I can't be there with her. Instead of fuckin' around wit' you," he said coldly.

"Look Chris, it's not my fault. It isn't anybody's fault at that. I can cancel the conc—"

"No. I ain't tryna hear nobody's mouth about a broken contract and a lawsuit. I'll just try to leave early, I guess. Fuck!"

He stormed out of the dressing room and I followed him while calling our driver to come pick us up.

☆☆☆☆☆

All in a mere two hours, Chris and I got into three heated arguments. This is not how I planned to spend my twenty-first birthday, so I called up my girls and asked them to come scoop a sista up.

"I'll meet you at sound check tonight," I announced.

He pulled my arm and eyed my outfit. "Where you goin'?"

"Out. I'll see you at sound check."

He let me go, but I could feel him watch me walk away, so I switched my ass a bit. I heard him groan softly, which made me smile devilishly.

I bet he won't treat me like that anymore, I thought as I stepped in Brianna's rental car.

"Girl, you gettin' thick as hell!" Tianna said as she and I embraced.

"Chris puttin' in that work, huh?" Bri asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Something like that. I don't even wanna talk about Chris right now."

I knew they were wondering what was wrong, but they didn't pressure me to tell them. I respect them for
that. Besides, it'll come out sooner or later.

Ten minutes later, we arrived at Club Peppa, the best club in the southside of Los Angeles. As we made our way into the facility, men and women stared in awe and desire, watching three fine women enjoying each other's company.

The place was just my style. Not very many people, a great mood, and tasty drinks. Since the it was called Club Peppa, the place had many shades of black and grey. It was a very modern, groovy club. The furniture looked too expensive to be in a club, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

"Grass Ain't Greener" was blasting through the club's amazing sound system.

Lucky me, I thought as the three of us made it to the bar.

"What would it be, ladies?" A white guy Bri knew asked us.

"I'll have—"

"The Birthday Girl," Tianna finished my sentence for me.

"Ah, happy birthday," he said to me.

Another sexy bartender greeted me and started conversation with me after he prepared my drink. The more I talked with him, the more familiar he became to me.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" I asked him.

His smile widened. "Maybe, maybe not, birthday girl."

I chucked. "Ricky, you just don't change."

He and I caught up with each other's lives and had a really great conversation...until he asked the question I had been avoiding all night.

"So you got a man now? I hear about you and that nigga Chris Browser every damn day."

I hinted at his jealousy and rolled my eyes. "His name is Chris Brown, Ricky, and yes he's my man. And I'm his manager."

His eyes almost popped out of its sockets. "Is that possible?"

"We've been dating for four months, and I met him at his concert almost nine months ago."

"Wasn't that after you broke up with me?"

I laughed. "Look, Ricky, right now isn't the time to be playing these childish ass games. Go be jealous somewhere else."

TiTi and Brianna came up beside me suddenly, sitting in the two chairs on both sides of me. I didn't even know they were gone.

"You wanna talk about it now?" Bri asked.

I downed the last of my drink, ordered another one, and just let it all out.