Thirty-Three

NEVAEH

After seeing Chris, I felt like I needed to be alone for a little bit. All of these surprises—a surprise reunion with him and Karrueche, a surprise baby shower, a surprise guest—were incredibly overwhelming.

I barricaded myself in my office while no one was looking; I knew someone would eventually find me, so I enjoyed my me time while I could.

"Baby boys," I said aloud. "I want your daddy to be in your lives, but not like this. How can he be faithful to you but not to me as well?"

Then it hit me.

"I'm so sorry, babies. I sound so selfish.  That's probably my problem. I worry about myself and my happiness too much."

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door.

Just my luck.

"Go away," I say, not even trying to figure out who's on the other side of the door.

"Nevaeh, it's me," Ricky replied. "We can't cut the cake without the woman of the hour."

Ricky's presence wasn't helping either. Even though I still love Chris, I know a fine man when I see one, and he fit the bill perfectly. Nice, heart-warming smile, a row of straight pearly whites, peanut butter colored skin—

"Nevaeh, stop staring," Ricky chuckled.

"What? I wasn't sta—"

"There you are!" Tianna bombarded into my office and pulled me away from Ricky. "You need to come back. Now. "

"Why? What's going on?"

"Chris. That's what."

CHRIS

"I'm not gon' ask you again. Where's Nevaeh and why wasn't I invited to the baby shower, Brianna?" I asked Vae's friend for the third time.

"I told you already—my sister and I felt like you didn't deserve to know after how you treated Nevaeh."

"That's some bullshit, man. How you not gon' invite the baby daddy to his—you know what? Where yo' twin at?"

Even though I was pissed the fuck off, I still managed to keep my cool around all of these people. I didn't want my name in nobody's headline.

"Chris," Vae's voice blessed my ears. "You're not welcome here."

I turned and faced her. She looked so...broken. Her tired, red eyes screamed how much she missed me...and how badly I hurt her.

"I'm still their father, Nevaeh. Please, let me be there for them."

"You shouldn't have to beg to support your own children, baby," Karrueche said suddenly. "For all you know, the little bastards probably aren't even yours."

Somethin' in me snapped, but unlike Nevaeh, I kept my rage inside. She took off her earrings, pulled Karrueche outside by her weave, and beat the fuck out of her. I pulled her off before the police came; I was sure somebody had called they asses by now.

"Yo, Breezy! You got two broads fighting over you, man?" Some random mufucka asked me while he was snappin' pictures of the whole scene.

"Somethin' told me to stay my ass at home today," I said to myself as I followed after Karruche.