f i f t e e n

"Do you ever do this, you think back on all the times you've had with someone and you just replay it in your head over and over again and you look for those first signs of trouble?"

x x x x x x x

A few days later, Louis sits inbetween Perrie and Liam at the lunch table. He picks at his salad and pouts openly, trying to get someone to notice and ask what's wrong. Finally, he sighs loud enough that Liam asks, "What's got you pouting, mate?"

His friends are all silent as they wait for him to answer.

"Well, first of all, I really didn't want this salad for lunch. Since my lame-o teacher let us out late, this was all that was left and I really hate eating healthy. Second, Harry isn't here." Louis says.

"Why isn't Harry here?" Danielle asks.

"His sister came back this morning. Him and Ed are moving her in and stuff. Poppy is going to stay with my family for a few days while Gemma gets settled in and stuff."

Everyone nods understandingly. Eleanor pushes her tray towards Louis, "Here, you can have the rest of my lunch and I'll take you salad."

Louis hands Eleanor the godforsaken salad and happily takes her tray of fries, a grilled cheese sandwich, an oatmeal raisin cookie, and apple juice.

He immediately takes a handful of fries and shoves them into his mouth, getting grease all over his fingers and shirt.

Niall shakes his head at him. "Honestly, I don't know how Harry puts up with you. All you do is shove food in your mouth, not caring that you like rather disgusting, then complain about how you think you're getting fat."

Louis shrugs. "Like you can say anything, you eat worse than I do, Nialler."

Everyone laughs then goes back into whatever conversation they're having about a test they just had.

All Louis can think about is how nervous he is. Immediately following school, he's going to Harry's to pick up some of Poppy's things, which will obviously lead to him meeting Gemma. He's never been so scared in his life.

 "Earth to Louis?" Liam asks, waving a hand in front of Louis' face. "We asked you what you thought about that test?"

"Oh, um, it was hard. For sure. I didn't really understand a lot of it." Louis says, then shoves some more food in his mouth.

"Did you study?" Niall asks.

Louis shrugs. "I actually have no idea what test you're talking about. I'm kind of a compulsive liar."

Liam squints at him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I feel, like, I don't know. I don't know how I feel. I'm trying to think of what I should write for Harry in a song I'm supposed to be writing, and then I'm so worried about meeting Gemma that I think I might throw up."

Liam pats his shoulder. "You'll be okay. I'm sure you and Gemma will get along great."

"But, what if we don't? What if I don't get along with her and Harry isn't okay with that?" Louis asks, shoving some more food into his mouth.

Niall sighs. "Dude. The Beatles."

"What about them?"

Niall stands up. "So, like, every band wants to be like hard-core and sing songs about pain and sex. But then The Beatles come along, and they do their first song 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'. Like, not everyone just wants a twenty-four hour hump sesh, some people just want to hold your hand." Niall sits back down.