e p i l o g u e

"I remember the day you left,
Tying rocks to your ankles,
you said,
'I'm going to find a new world,
under the ocean.'

I guess you must be enjoying
yourself,
I haven't seen you since."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Month 1.

The first month that goes by is the hardest. It's constant headaches and tears, constant reminders everywhere in town, constant nagging from everyone. Louis doesn't have motivation to do much of anything now that Harry is gone.

Harry calls every day and asks how everything is going.

Above all, things are going fine.

Louis still doesn't know what he's going to do with the rest of his life, but, whatever. What else is new?

Month 2.

Louis sulks, but he pushes it aside and gets an internship at the hospital, filing papers, checking in patients, and disinfecting tubes. It's not a dream job, considering he doesn't even get paid for it, but it's better than nothing he guesses.

Louis spends as much time as he can with his sisters, and takes them and Poppy out for ice cream at least once a week. Harry still calls everyday.

Harry and the band are doing well, they've been recording every day and he says it's exhausting.

Harry and Louis talk about maybe Louis coming out to California. Harry promises him sun kissed skin, a deep blue sea, and the warmest sand he's every felt. Louis smiles and blushes but can't help but think that it's never going to happen.

Month 3.

Harry misses a few calls, but, Louis brushes it off as nothing. Harry's busy, and Louis knows that.

Louis' busy, too. Liam eventually left to Australia to start his Firefighter training, and it motivates Louis to do something else with his life. Spending twelve hours a day at a hospital and hanging out with his younger sisters isn't really the ideal life styles.

He has a lot to do to get his life together, but he just doesn't know where to start.

Month 4.

Harry calls at least once every week now. It's better than nothing and Louis will take what he can get.

He drives his sisters and his mum three hours to the beach. It's October and the arm is a bit brisk and the water a little cold, but it's beautiful nonetheless. He sits in the sand and runs his fingers through it as his sisters dance in the water and his mum finds shells in the wet sand and Louis thinks of how maybe one day this could be him and Harry taking their kids to the beach.

Louis shakes off the silly thought and enjoys the deep sun roasting his skin.

Harry calls while Louis is at the beach.

For the first time since Harry left, Louis doesn't answer the phone.

Month 5.

Louis' internship gets promoted up to an actual job, and Louis officially sits at the front desk with a nice lady named Emily and they check patients in and take their paperwork in the mornings, and in the afternoon he cleans off tools after they've been used for surgeries.