Chapter 1 First Day of Freedom

Adriana (Pre-tattoos, hair dye, piercings, and bike.) Age 17-

November 16:

They've finally agreed to let me go to West County High. I pick out my favorite outfit and skip downstairs to breakfast. I slow descend the stairs and I hear my parents talking causing me to walk even quieter and slower. (AN: Outfit above)

"I don't know how I feel about this Lizzy." My father tells my mother before I join them in the kitchen.

"I know Joseph." My mother consoles him. "But it's what she wants, we can't keep her holed up forever. She deserves to see the world."

"But it will destroy her. She's so innocent." My father tells her.

"We've had her this long, she deserves to make her own choices." My mother says.

I back up to the steps climbing up a hand full of them and then run down them and skip loudly into the kitchen.

"Good morning Mamma, morning Daddy." I tell them kissing them both on the cheek.

"Morning Darling." My mother tells me as she places my breakfast at the breakfast bar.

"Good morning Sweetheart." My father says placing a kiss on my head.

I quietly eat my breakfast as they continue to talk.

"What happens when she decides to live as a worldly?" My father asks my mother.

What is a worldly?

"I've got to go meet the bus." I tell my parents.

"I'll take you to school Darling." My mother says.

"It's okay Mamma." I assure her, "It's right at the door."

"Well, if you're sure." She says as the bus's horn beeps.

"I've got to go, love you lots, bye." I kiss both their cheeks again before grabbing my new book bag and racing out the door. As soon as I got on the bus I was facing strangers. Not one of them looked familiar, most of them are a rare species. Males. Everyone is staring at me. The bus driver is a male. At least the riders are split about evenly half and half. But some of them look bizarre. Their hair is chopped strangely. They've got ink drawn all over them. Their hair is a variety of strange colors and patterns. And they've got earrings all over their faces.

"Miss, please take a seat." The driver says. I find the only empty seat at the back of the bus. I quickly and quietly head there and sit down.

As soon as I'm sitting down I pick up my book What Happened to Goodbye. I try to ignore the stares and eventually give in to see one boy in particular watching me.

He looks innocent with his short but shaggy brown hair and the stormy gray green eyes that look curiously at me. His short sleeve polo and khaki shorts. "I'm Benjamin Jordan. But call me Ben." He says holding out a hand.

"Adriana," I tell him as I tentatively reach or to shake his hand.

"We'll work on that. Without confidence they'll eat you alive at this school, or any school really." Ben says, "so, when did you move here?"

"I've always lived here. I was home schooled."

"That explains it then. The stunned expression." He says.

"Home school straight into public is a hard transition, lucky for you, you've got yourself a mentor." The bus stops and everyone stands simultaneously. I scramble to my feet and let Ben lead me inside the Brobdingnagian building. It could eat four of Tumble-wood Baptist Church buildings, where my father preaches, and have room for more. "Once you get settled, it's not so intimidating." Ben promises.