Chapter4

American Eskimo 

        ~~~~~~~~~~'''''''~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kobe and I walk to first period with a pencil and a notebook. English class was not my favorite but not my least favorite, I get good grades in it though. "Samantha!" Some one calls from behind me. People at this school always call me Samantha, but it always make me jumpy, always makes me think they know I'm not really Samuel but Samantha. I turn around. "What?" I spit out to Wyatt, the guy who always bug me about everything, always calling me a flowery boy, telling me that I look even more like a girl then my brothers. 

  "You going to the camp out?" He asks swinging his arm around me. He acts gay but he's as straight as they come, he's a player too. "Maybe, maybe not," I say shoving his arm off of me. "Hey, show the brother some love," He says. I roll my eyes and walk away, swaggering away with my hands in my pockets like most of the boys here. Pretending to be a boy for so long, I start to get the hang of being one. I walk to my English class where my teacher is ALWAYS late. 

  "Hey sam, when are you going to pay for the camping," Greg asks me. "I just did, like JUST did," I say. "Oh, okay, now almost all of us are going," Greg says. "Hey, I dare you to go get a ball from the dog," Greg dares me. "What dog?" I ask confused. I just barely started the school and don't know much about it. I started a month ago and used to go to this public school. "There's this dog on campus which belongs to some guy, I dare you to go steal a ball and bring it back, but beware," He warns me. 

  Everyone snickers. "He won't make it out alive," Someone says. I smile. "Challenge accepted," I say. "Hey, you don't have to do this" Kobe says. I look at him, then at Greg. "What's in it for me?" I ask. "I will buy your lunch for a week...AND I will give you a piggy back ride to the next class," He says. I nod, "Okay, your on," I say. "It's behind the GYM by dormitory six," Greg informs me. I smile jumping out of my seat. I run out of the class and find a little hill where signs lead up to a small dog house. 

A half broken sign says 'Do Not Bite-' I pick up the other half of it. 'If I'm not bothered,' I drop the sign and shudder. 'Beware,' 'Do Not get Bit' The other signs say. I crawl around looking for the dog first. I don't see the dog so I crawl around looking for a ball. "Must be in the house," I whisper when I don't find a ball. I crawl in the dog house and look around. I see a small chewed on tennis ball. "Yes!" I whisper picking up the ball. I hear a small growl from behind me. I slowly turn around to an American Eskimo. 

  My eyes widen as the dog gets in a pouncing position. "No," I whisper. "Good boy," i say unsure if it's a girl or a boy. The dog pounces on me and starts to lick my face, his tongue tickling me. I laugh. "Aw, you're not so bad," I say petting his white fur. He yaps and I pick up the ball, "I was just going to borrow this, is that okay?" I ask picking up the ball. The dog seems to smile and I take it as a yes. "What's your name?" I ask. 

   The dog pants in reply. I crawl out of the dog house and I play with the dog for a minute. to see if it's a girl or a boy. "Aw, you're a girl!" I say. She licks my face. I pick up the beware signs, "Why would they put these things by your house, you aren't mean," I say. "What are you doing," Someone with a deep voice says behind me. 

  I turn around looking up and blocking the sun with my hand. I've never seen this dude around but he wears the same uniform, maybe he's new. "Um, I'm just hanging with this dog," I say, making my voice go deeper. "Yeah, my dog, get out," He says. "Rude," I scoff standing up, hiding the ball in my pocket. I walk back to first period where everyone is talking about how I'm totally going to fail and I will NOT get back alive. 

  "Hey," I say, throwing the ball up and catching it with one hand, leaning in the door way. They all stare at me with their mouths hanging open. "It was easy," I say throwing the ball at Greg, "How about a piggy back ride to Algebra? After this class I mean," I say smiling. Greg catches the ball and puts chapstick on his lips all mad. I snicker and get in my seat.