Apologies

"To touring!" Nova cheered as the 5 clinked their glasses. Nova laughed at the boys, because they were drinking Pepsi instead of beer. She herself was drinking a coke, her usual. They had just finished eating and were talking lightly.

Luke slipped his hand into Nova's and kissed her gently on the cheek. Nova felt his lip ring presss against her cheek and she smiled at him.

"You two are the most adorable couple in the whole entire world," Ashton nodded to himself.

"And I'm lucky to have the most amazing girlfriend in the whole world," Luke slung his arm around Nova's shoulder.

"Stop trying to flirt with me, Hemmings," Nova said, trying to hold back her blushing.

"Why? Your face gets all red, and then you start blushing, and then you smack me and it's just so cute-"

"Stop it!" And she did smack him. Right across the lips. With her lips. Caught off guard by the kiss, Luke raised his eyebrows. Nova pulled away, grinning.

"Nevermind, you two are gross," Ashton giggled.

"Shut up, Irwin," she snapped, but was still laughing. She smoothed out her shirt and brushed her fingers through her hair.

****

Dan's fingers trembled as he began to type.

Dear Nova, I really am sorry for what I said to you. It was wrong. It was horrible. I know, i know. But I really want you to forgive me- to actually for forgive me. And really mean it. You still mean a lot to me, and I feel terrible for the words I said. I'm sorry. I can't say it enough, but I really am. I'm so sorry, N.

Dan hit send, his fingers still trembling. He buried his head in his hands. She probably wouldn't respond. Why should she? He didn't deserve it. He picked up his phone as it buzzed suddenly.

I forgive you.

It was a simple response, but it still made Dan have a little faith. Maybe things would be okay. What she had said was so simple- it almost seemed too simple. But he didn't want to bug her- that was the last thing he wanted to do. Yet he still did it.

Is something wrong?

His response came immediately.

No.

Something was wrong. Dan closed his eyes and pressed his phone against his chest. He wished, with all his heart, he could see Nova and talk to her face to face. What he did next surprised himself. He clicked open his phone app and dialed her number.

One ring, nothing.

Two rings, nothing.

Three rings, nothing.

Four rings, nothing.

Fiver rings, nothing. This was the last ring.

6 rings- A very crooked, unsteady voice answered.

"Hello?" Nova spoke softly.

"Nova? Is that you?" Dan spoke even softer, his voice trembling. "Are the boys with you?"

"I'm at the hotel. They're outside," Nova responded. Dan suddenly was filled with joy. She was talking to him like he was a normal friend. Until the next sentence came. "What do you even want? I said I forgave you."

"I just hate doing it through texting. I want to hear you say it," Dan urged.

"Come on, now you're acting like its a break up. I said I forgave you, and that's that."

Dan couldn't help but cringe. Nova sounded the tiniest bit annoyed.

"But I-"

"Dan, do you have a point here? I've got things to do," Nova said.

"I-I miss you," It escaped his lips before he could help it. There was silence, and more silence.

"I miss you too," Nova mumbled quietly, just so Dan could barely hear her.He let out a sigh of relief.

"Are we friends?" There was silence for a few seconds.

"I- I- I guess so. I'm happy, Dan, and don't try to change that. If you're going to get jealous, then don't be friends with me," Nova said quietly.

"I won;t get jealous, I swear. Nova, I swear," Dan reassured her.

"Okay. I have to go. I- I'll talk to you sometime later," Nova said. Dan barely had time to say goodbye before she hung up.

Dan felt proud of himself. Maybe she didn't hate him, after all. Maybe they could be friends. He would do everything in his power to make sure that his feelings didn't get in the way of his and Nova's friendship. He was filled with relief as he sat down on a park bench. 

Thank God, he thought. Thank God.