Chapter 9 - Setting Out

The morning sunrise made Stephanie squint. She had fallen asleep, and the dewey grass made her clothes slightly damp.

She stood up and streched. Then she looked around.

"What are you doing?" Asked her hallucination.

"Planning my path." Alex and her brothers lived way up in the mountains, where no one ever got to. "I have to get down to civilization somehow."

She squinted in the face of the sunlight. "Do you even REMEMBER civilization?" He asked. Steph chose to ignore him, but he kept talking. "You woke up in the mountains, and never went to civilization. Are you sure you can handle this?"

"Shut up, Luke." She said.

"Luke? That's what you're calling me?" He looked a little disgusted. "I don't like it."

"What the heck am I supposed to call you, then?" She huffed.

"My name."

"But I cant-" He stopped her.

"Try again. What's my name?" He looked into her eyes.

"N..." She stopped. "No, that's the other guy." She sat, and she thought, until finally, "M... mack? No. I... I know it starts with M."

"Keep trying. You'll get it." He looked towards the mountains. "You know... you could go to civilization, but if you really wanted to find out about yourself, you could go to where you were found."

"Wait, what?"

"Think about it. There's got to be some clue to your identity there." He said.

Steph at first, wanted to protest, but then she remembered. This guy was technically part of her. She was considering this, not him. "Let's go."

"Which way?"

"The burned down building where I was found."