22. one call away

dedicated to _despairingly 💕
🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾
he called her when she landed.
he called her when he reached his new home.
he called her after he unpacked.
he called her when he couldn't sleep in his new bed.
he called her on his first day at the new school.

she called him when she missed his voice.
she called him when she felt he was down.
she called him when she was watching their favorite show on tv.
she called him when she was sick in bed and wanted to feel his presence.

he called.
she called.

then he stopped calling.
she wondered why.
she made excuses. time zones. he was busy. he was settling in. he had new friends who needed his attention. he had molly.
but she didn't have him.
and despite her friends' best efforts, she stayed down in the dumps.

she changed her sleeping schedule so she could call him at midnight his time on his birthday.
he never picked up.
he just messaged her an apology. he didn't even mention the gift she had sent him.

she took a deep breath. again. and again.
she convinced herself that she no longer had her best friend. he had moved on. and she should too. so she tried. and tried.
she put on appearances for her remaining few friends. the rest couldn't handle her depression. she let them help her. and slowly she built herself back up. slowly but surely.

until of course, it all came shattering down.

hey guys. sorry for the long-ish wait. i know this is a shorter chapter and a bit of a filler but they're necessary to explore the depths of the story.
anywho let me know what you guys think. i love hearing your thoughts 💭
see you soon with more of alex and len action.
love and pizza slices,
rumaysah 💕💕🍕🍕
p.s. song of the chapter is one call away by charlie puth. i imagine this is what elaynah is trying to say to alex. so give it a listen.