Chapter 5

After the awkwardness that was the car ride with Lance and I, I had come to the decision that I would stay here temporarily. It would be nice to feel a little safe here, by my mate. I swallow thinking about the stiffness and distance Lance gave me in the morning after we left from Alpha Dylan's. I felt extremely guilty for running off like that and making a fast one. And complete shame. Lance wouldn't even look at me. The tension in the car was almost suffocating. Especially since I hated silences.

I would have rather died than told Lance to stop at a gas station because I had to use the bathroom.

When we got to the mansion/pack house, Lance just straight up disappeared while we were at the door. I could see Cole from the peripheral vision. He was totally following me. Great. The Beta was following me.

Meg greeted me with a glare at the living room. I hope they didn't do anything to her because of me. Would Lance have harmed her?

"I can't believe someone like you would one up me like that," Meg crosses her arms accusingly.

"Nothing personal," I tell her, meeting her eyes so she could tell that I meant it. She steps in front of me.

Meg scoffs, "Seriously though I can't believe I couldn't find you."

"I hope you didn't get in trouble," I sheepishly admit.

"Puh-lease," Meg waves a hand like she didn't care, "like anyone could do anything to me." I smile a little.

"I'm sorry though," I confess.

Meg gives me another stank look. "Meredith, I'm not the one you should be apologizing to."

I gulp, looking away from her. She's right of course. Lance was the one that may have gotten hurt. I thought Lance would lock me up or something but he didn't. This was a relief to know he wouldn't, but now I would always be with Cole . Or, Cole was following me around and I don't think I can get out or escape easily with. Plus this guy was like some intense rock so conversation with him would be awkward.

Meg brushes past me, giving me one last look, and that's when I notice my surroundings. What I saw when I first came here was no one. Now? I see so many wolves buzzing past me, not saying anything to me but doing their own thing with each other.

Some pups were running, laughing away from the kitchen in which and older werewolf was chasing them out of the kitchen. I sidestep out of their way, smiling at them.

Those pups are so me. The eating the raw cookie dough part, I mean.

"You guys can't eat raw cookie dough, you pups!" the werewolf wearing a chef's hat and a big round stomach yelled after them, a distinct southern accent prominent in his words. He then notices me and frowns. "Who are you?"

"Av-Meredith," I stutter.

"Cook," the man jutted out his hand. His name was literally Cook and he was a cook? That's so cool. "It's nice to meet Alpha's mate."

I'm taken by surprise that Lance had told any of his pack mate's. "Nice to meet you too," I say taking his hand. "I ate your pizza the other day and it was great."

Cook smiles. "I like a gal that can eat."

I laugh a little, "Oh trust me, I eat a lot."