Chapter IV - NYC

"Argh!" the Doctor slams his hands on the TARDIS console. He grits his teeth and is about to swear when Clara interrupts him.

"Doctor, What's the matter?" she asks, startled.

"I even used the ... I can't find Brook anywhere." the Doctor grumbles. Clara comes back into the TARDIS from her place by it's door. By now, they were just floating in space among the stars.

Clara goes to the Doctor and places her hand on his arm. He is hunched over the console in frustration. "I'm sure we'll find her. Say, let's just go back to Earth and try to find her the old-fashioned way, yeah?" she suggests.

The Doctor sighs, attempting a smile for Clara. "Alright, then." he flips a lever and the TARDIS spins again through space.

~

"Where are we now, Doctor?" Clara asks as they both step out of the TARDIS. "Wait -don't tell me!" she double takes, excitement seeping into her voice, "This is Athens, isn't it?"

"Yep," the Doctor answers popping out the 'p.'

Clara mades a noise of adoration. "I've always wanted to come here! It was in my book of 101 Places to See." she beams.

The Doctor gives a tight smile. "Well, we're here now. Let's... try to find Brook."

~

Outside the Parthenon, the Doctor is tense and irritated, while Clara is taking in the sights.

"Clara... just how do you plan to find Brook on this planet?" he asks, frustratingly.

"Well," Clara takes a break from her sight seeing to think for a moment. She looks over at the Doctor. "Maybe she'll find us."

The Doctor sighs and knits his eyebrows. "Fine, alright, then. You have no plan. This is just great."

"I never said I didn't have a plan..." Clara grumbles, now glaring at the Doctor.

"How about this. You go off and sight-see while I go and make up a plan." says the Doctor.

"Alright, then. If that's what you want me to do." Clara huffs and then stalks away. Immediately after she has left, the Doctor feels the absence of her presence.

Clara walks around the ruins, thinking, the Doctor should be here to see this, even though he has probably seen all of this already. She keeps reminding herself to forget him, but soon she gets tired of that.

"Doctor?" she calls out, walking to the place where she and the Doctor had last met. She hears commotion up ahead where the Doctor should be and ducks behind a ruin. She hears voices shouting; the Doctor's, and a young, male voice she hasn't heard before. Then the sound of a helicopter comes within hearing range and clara glances up to see a black helicopter flying away with the Doctor visibly inside.

She makes eye contact with the Doctor and he says something she can't hear. I've got to pee? Do you have the keys? Ugh! she thinks. Then it dawns on her. NYC!

Clara runs back to the TARDIS and jumps inside.

"Alright," she says, speaking to the TARDIS. "We're going to NYC! Follow that helicopter!"

Vote if you liked