Chapter 1

Valkyrie stood tired after they finally adverted yet another crisis. Her face was cut and bruised and her body ached. Not far from her stood Skulduggery, who was talking to Ghastly. She could tell her they were having some sort of argument and would've left it alone had Ghastly not pointed at her. She walked over just enough to hear him say a couple things before quickly shutting up.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"it's not my place to tell you, Valkyrie. But maybe he will. I mean it Skulduggery. Think hard about this. Is it worth it?" Ghastly replied before walking off, leaving Skulduggery looking down at the floor in thought. Valkyrie thought she heard him say "I have thought about it...."

"So what was that about?"

"It's nothing that I want to talk about at the moment."

"Is it the Lord Vile thing?"

"Good God, no. It's something else. Something that only I can sort out."

"You don't have to go it alone, you know."

"I know..... But this is something I can't involve you in until I sort it out or else I may lose you."

As soon as he said that he stopped abruptly and looked away. Valkyrie stood there shocked. Was he doing something she'd hate him for or is he in love with her? She decided to play it out. She was known to be very clever, just like her mentor. She already had a plan.

"Fine. But why don't you come by my place for tea. Wear your facade and you'll be fine."

Skulduggery sighed and nodded. He didn't need the tea but he knew that a bit of relaxation would do him some good. He touched the symbols carved into his collarbone and walked beside her, stealing quick glances here and there , and although they were quick, he still noticed how her hair flowed and how she carried herself with dignity. He also noticed how she was limping slightly and a side of him he didn't even remember having came out. He scooped her up and she squeaked in surprise. He leaped up into the air and landed on the roof of a nearby building. He set her down and stopped her when she tried to stand up.

"Where are you hurt? You're limping."

She blushed as he checked her legs. Her boots had taken good care of her feet but her trousers were not on her because she never had time to change into them that day. He started at her lower shins and worked his way up. He stopped when she made a noise. It may have been over four hundred years ago but he still remembered that sound some women made when they were being pleasured and wanted to hide it. He tilted his head a little and looked up to see her blushing wildly. It was almost too irresistible. He moved his hand again to her outter thigh as he leaned toward her. Her blush darkened.

Skulduggery tilted his head in a smile and ran a finger over the scar on her face. She was so beautiful and he gently kissed her. Her eyes widened. For someone who is literally nothing more than bones it didn't feel weird. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck. This deepened the kiss and Skulduggery's hand felt her leg up and down as they kissed. This was rewarded with a slight moan. He wanted to continue but he pulled away so that she could breathe. Her face was very red at this point and he knew it was indeed worth it. He got up and helped her stand. She was a little wobbly but she quickly gained her footing. His massaging her leg helped with her limping as well. He returned with her back to the street of Roarhaven and they got some looks. It didn't matter to them. He placed a kiss on her temple as he walked with her to the Bentley.

"So are we lovers now?"

"Valkyrie, my dear, it would appear so," he replied before kissing her hand as he drove her home to Haggard.