Chapter 5

Valkyrie paced for what felt like hours. At one point she heard Skulduggery screamed in agony and Ghastly and Tanith both had to restrain her. The more she paced the more worried she would become about him, especially when he feel silent suddenly. Ghatsly looked at Tanith, who nodded and wrapped an arm around her best friend.

"Come on, Val. Lets get something to eat while we wait. Don't worry. When it's over Ghastly will let us know."

Valkyrie nodded and walked with Tanith. They went to a Burger King, and Tanith looked worried as Valkyrie barely even poked at her food, even though she knew Valkyrie was worried about Skulduggery. He's her lover, and she loved him with all her heart. Tanith knew the feeling; she believed she would be in the same position should it have been Ghastly rather than Skulduggery. She sighed in relief when Valkyrie began to eat. She soon got a text from Ghastly. It read "Hey he's awake and already looking for Valkyrie. Time to surprise her." she smiled and looked at Valkyrie, "Time to go see your lover's new look."

Valkyrie was nervous. She knew it went well but not what to expect. When they walked in they saw a very attractive young man talking and laughing with Ghastly. Valkyrie watched his body language and she smiled; it was Skulduggery back in the flesh. Tears welled in her eyes as she ran to him. He turned in time to catch her. He smiled as she listened to his heartbeat. His heartbeat. She never heard it before today because until today he was dead, but she loved his heartbeat. It was strong and seemed almost to beat to their song, Not Broken Yet. He held her in strong, tanned arms and his voice seemed to be even more velvety than before. She pulled away enough to ran a hand from his chest to his navel and marvelled that he was very well toned; he even had an eight-pack. She looked into his eyes. His shocking blue eyes under his dark brown hair. She loved every bit of him. She looked over at Ghastly and Tanith and found them both smiling.

"Does this mean we can go home now? Id like to have some alone time with you to adjust to your new look."

Everyone laughed a little as Valkyrie and Skulduggery got into the Bentley and drove off. However, they didn't have to go far before they were home and inside the house. Valkyrie took her jacket off and hung it on the coatrack before entering the bedroom. Skulduggery looked at her and smiled before kissing her. What started as an innocent kiss soon became fiercely passionate, and he picked her up and laid her on the bed before getting on top of her, never once breaking the kiss. She wrapped her arms around his muscular neck and his hands went under her shirt so that he had one hand on her toned stomach. He pulled away for air and looked at her. Her cheeks were dusted with a beautiful light blush as she smiled at him. However, he was scared. If he lost control there's always the chance Lord Vile would hurt her. And then Darquesse would come out to play and would very probably kill him. And he wasn't planning on dying again any time soon.

He was interrupted from his thoughts by Valkyrie kissing his jaw line. This caused him to grunt a little in pleasure. She smirked and traced his abs as she focused on his jaw line, which made him want her even more than before. He reached for her shirt when a knock on the front door interrupted them. He growled as he got up and answered it, his eyes showing anger. It was Ravel.

"Whoa, easy, Skul. Just came to see how it all went. May I come in?" Ravel said, shrinking back a little under Skulduggery's gaze.

Skulduggery grunted in response and let him in. Immediately Ravel caught sight of Valkyrie and her messy hair. He smirked. Valkyrie quickly went to brush her hair. "Well, well, well. Of course you being alive again would give you back your sex drive. I'm amazed you haven't taken her yet to be honest."

"Well, I honestly don't know if now would be a good time to do that," he said with a sigh. Ravel raised an eyebrow at Skulduggery but said nothing; he had learned to never question his friend's choices. Skulduggery just sipped on the tea Valkyrie brought him. It'd been a long time since he's had tea but he found this cup of tea to be perfect.

      Valkyrie walked over smiling and sat in Skulduggery's lap as the men spoke with each other until she sensed something wrong. It was a chill going down her spine that told her there was danger. It was then she realized Darquesse was trying to break free. She fought but she was having trouble maintaining control.  She clinged to Skulduggery with their secret code of "My head hurts". He sighed and massaged her back saying, "It was good seeing you Old Friend but Valkyrie isn't feeling well and I plan on nursing her back to health."

      Ravel nodded, "I see. Well, have a nice afternoon. If you need anything you know where I'll be. I hope you get to feeling better, Miss Cain." With that, he put on his coat and hat and left. Skulduggery picked Valkyrie up and locked themselves in their room. He removed her shirt and massaged her shoulders, something that sometimes helped her stay in control, and talked to her about some of their finest memories they had together.

      After a few minutes she sighs and tells him she's good now. He hummed in response and continued massaging her shoulders.h she smiled and moaned a little when he got to the spot where her neck connected to her shoulders. He smiled and focused here until she fell asleep in his arms. When he heard her faint snoring he smiled more, tucked her in, then joined her for the night.