Chapter 4

Valkyrie woke up the next morning, her eyes red and puffy. She started to cry again but then a bony arm snaked around her waist and held her close. She sighed and turned over so her face is hidden by his bare rib cage. He had stayed with her last night to make sure she would be OK. Of course, he had talked with Ghastly before joining her. After the talk, Ghastly came to understand that while she is Darquesse, she is also doing her best to prevent her dark destiny. Ghastly had decided to not treat her like he did that night.

She looked up at the man she loved, who was craning his neck so he could see her. He activated his facade so she could look into his shocking blue eyes. His eyes softened as he wiped away her tears and kissed her forehead. She smiled slightly and hugged him.

"Feel better, Love?" he asked her softly. He watched her closely yet lovingly as she closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath before releasing it as a sigh. She nodded and soon snuggled into him again. This only made him smile as he held her close, "I believe I am going to have a word with Nye to see if it can make a full body facade that will be permanent. You deserve a man who isn't a skeleton."

Valkyrie propped herself up on her elbows as she looked at him with wide eyes. Did he really suggest becoming flesh and blood again for her? Tears welled up in her dark eyes, but these tears were not tears of self-loathing like the night before. They were of joy. She kissed him and, naturally, he wrapped his arms around her waist, deepening the kiss. She soon had her hands on his rib cage while his went to her hips. They would've continued with this or even more had Ghastly not cleared his throat while standing in the doorway with Tanith. They pulled away. Valkyrie his her face and Skulduggery wouldn't look at Ghastly. Ghastly, however, surprised them.

"Tanith and I were talking, and she's right. You and Valkyrie belong together, so who am I to deprive you of the first time you've ever been truly happy ever since the war? I was nervous at the beginning but now I bless it now."

      If magic weren't holding him together his jaw would've fallen off. He had never expected Ghastly would've blessed the relationship; he had told Skulduggery it was a bad idea to fall for Valkyrie. And yet now here he was telling them he supports their relationship. Was Tanith that influential? Tanith winked at Valkyrie before pulling Ghastly into another room, no doubt for a make-out session. Valkyrie looked at Skulduggery before they both burst into laughter.

After she regained her composure she smiled at Skulduggery before getting up and straightening out her sleep shirt and shorts. Skulduggery got up as well and kissed Valkyrie before walking out so she could change; he planned on taking her out for lunch today after he went to have his facade improved. It didn't take long to get ready to go. They got into the Bentley and drove off to speak with Nye.

      "So what do you think it's gonna look like? I mean, each time you activate your facade it's different," she asked. She saw him tilt his head as he thought about it.

      "To be honest, Val, I don't know. I honestly don't mind as long as it's for you," he replied before parking the Bentley and kissing her lightly.

      And with that they walked into Nye's medical bay, a decision that would forever alter their lives together.