F I V E

THE NEXT MORNING ALYCIA TRUDGED TIREDLY INTO HAWKINS HIGH SCHOOL.

     Her lips were still slightly swollen and sore from her interaction with Steve last night, which proved how experienced she was (which was not really experienced at all). Her and Steve had gone till midnight making out, studying, and then making out some more. It has gone no farther than making out, although she knew Steve had probably wanted to go a little more, but he didn't push it. Alycia had no idea what time Steve had left at, all she knew is that it was late.

     So late that she slept past her alarm and had to get out of bed quickly, change, brush her hair and teeth, and bolt out the door. She was running so late that she didn't have a chance to stop over at the Byers for breakfast like she usually did. She had some bags under her eyes as she yawned tiredly at her locker, where Nancy and Barb came up to her.

     "Someone stay up too late studying?" Nancy teased with a small laugh.

     Alycia nodded, cautiously. "Yeah. . .studying." Barb looked at Nancy and Nancy looked at Barb both with slight smirks on their faces.

     "You so hooked up with Steve Harrington last night!" Barb said, her voice in a hushed yet excited whisper. Alycia could feel her cheeks burn a bright red. "I totally called it." she added, her voice getting slightly louder.

     "Geez Barb! Why don't you say it louder so entire school knows?" Alycia snapped before letting out a small laugh, the blush still burning her cheeks. "But no, it wasn't like that. . .I think. We didn't really hook up, just made out. A lot."

     "Sorry," apologized Barb but she had a cheeky grin on her face. She laughed and shook her head in disbelief. "I just can't believe it. You and Steve? Alycia, you hated the guy literally 24 hours ago."

      "I know, but things change-"

      "In 24 hours?"

      Alycia shook her head, shutting her locker and letting out a sigh. "Will you just help me study?" She asked, trying to change the subject - and fast. The last thing Alycia needed was for the whole school to eavesdrop on the conversation and for the rumors to begin to spread.

     Nancy and Barb nodded as Alycia handed Barb a stack of flashcards. They then began walking, Alycia in the middle, Nancy and Barb on both of her sides. They turned the corner of the hall and Barb began reading the questions.

     "When alpha particles go through gold foil, they become-"

     "Unoccupied space." Alycia finished.

     "A molecule that can - hey!" Alycia watched as Steve snatched the cards out of Barb's hands, Tommy and Carol behind him. The blonde girl watched as he shifted through them with a laugh, shaking his head.

     "I think you've studied enough Ross." Steve told her.

     "Steve-" Alycia began.

     "I'm telling you, you've got this. Don't worry." Steve looked from the flashcards and over at her. "Now, onto more important matters. My dad has left town on a conference and my mom has gone with him 'cause you know, she doesn't trust him-"

    "Good call," piped in Tommy. The two grinned at each other before looking back at Alycia. 

    "So are you in?" 

     Alycia's eyebrows furrowed and Carol had to resist the urge to roll her eyes at how innocent she was. "In for what?" Alycia said slowly.

     "No parents," started Carol. "Big house."