prologue

The phone rings and I quickly shut off the running water from my shower. I grab a towel off the rack besides the curtain and wrap it around my body. After stepping out of the shower, I exit the bathroom and pad down the hall, almost slipping, before picking up the white phone from its place on the wall in the kitchen.

"Hello?" I answer. The first thing I hear is a bunch of squealing. I hold the phone away from my ear until the caller calms down.

"Tina, it happened!" I recognize the voice as my friend, Grace. Grace squeals excitedly and jumbles up her words.

"What happened?" I ask.
"He proposed! Shawn proposed!" She squeals.

I turn and slip, falling to the floor as I clutch onto the towel. The phone hangs by the cord as I lie on the floor. Grace continues to scream through the line as I carefully get up. I take hold of the phone and press it to my ear again.

"I'm sorry, did you say that he proposed?"

"Yes! He proposed! Oh, my God! I didn't think it was going to happen but then it did! He was so nervous throughout the whole day and I thought he was sick but he had this look on his face and I thought, oh my gosh he's gonna break up with me in front of all of these people outside watching. But hen he didn't! He got down on one knee and proposed! Oh my gosh! I'm flipping the fuck out, Tina!" Grace rambles all in one breath. "He proposed! I thought this would never happen! He asked me to marry him!"

"Did you say yes?" I jokingly ask.
"Duh! I love him!"

"Well, congratulations. Are you still in Italy?"
"No. We left two days ago. We're in Portugal."

"So he proposed in public?"
"Yes! Oh my - Tina, please come visit me! Please?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll just have to put my notice in."
"Tina? One more thing."

"What, you want me to pick up something from your apartment?"
"No. I want you to be my maid of honor."

¥¥

A Maid of Honor is someone who has always been there for your up's and down's. They've been a friend for so long, that they're practically a sister. A Maid of Honor is someone who has always been loyal.

I was loyal to her until I met her fiancee.

And fell in love.