1.1

[dedicated to heree]

How do I look my parents in the face knowing I did what I did last night? They were expecting me for dinner tonight, but how could I look them in the eyes or even be in their presence knowing I did what I did last night? Grace wanted me to come over her place and look at the bridal magazines, but I lied and said that there was a quick rehearsal that I had to attend.

"So what does this mean then?"
"It means I don't regret anything last night."

I wait for my father to finish closing up the bakery and drink my water. A brown curl hung over his forehead and he pushed it back. He cleaned the counters and my phone buzzed. It was a call from Grace, and I placed my phone on silent and acted like I didn't see it. My father huffed as he locked the cash register and then came from behind the counter.

"Are you ready?" I ask him.

"Yes. How long do you have?" He replies through his slight French accent.

"I have until eight thirty." I reply.

He looks at his watch, nods, and then looks at me. "Lets get going then."

I grab my bag and phone and he grabs his windbreaker and the two of us head out. He locks the door and then we embark on hailing a cab.

"How was the show last night?" I ask him. He waved down a cab and and it flashed its headlights at us.

"Chris," he calls me, "that was the best I have ever seen you dance. You always amaze me, but last night was different."

I smile and the cab comes to us. We get in before anyone can steal it from us, and then tell the driver the directions to our house. I rest my head on my fathers shoulder and he tells me about his day at work. He tells me about the customers and how sometimes they remind him of certain customers he remembers from France. Sometime the customers remind him of me or Grace and then he'll tell me why and what they did.

"Speaking of Grace, how is she?" He asks me.

"She's great. I don't know if you know already, but she's engaged." I reply. Yeah, and I slept with her fiancé.

"Really? That's wonderful. I'll have to congratulate her when I see her."

"Well she's back in the city for I don't know how long, but I'm sure you'll run into her."

Ten minutes later, we arrive at the block of the apartment. I pay the driver and leave a tip as my dad and I exit the car. He stops right at the corner market and buys my mother flowers.

"Sunflowers or tulips?" He asks me.

"Tulips," I say. He nods and purchases the pale pink tulips and the merchant wraps them in brown paper before giving my father back his change. We leave and I talk to my dad about my day. The conversation carried on from the first floor all the way to the seventh floor.

"Anyways, what's mom cooking tonight?" I ask. He has the keys in his hands as we walk down the hall to the door of the apartment.

"She's making Quiche Lorraine." He tells me.

"French? But wait, she only makes it when we have guests over." I reply. He unlocks the door and as the door opens, I see Grace and Shawn sitting on the couch as they talk to my mother.

Oh, shit.

The three heads turn and look at me and I try my hardest to not look at Shawn, but I feel his burning eyes on me. Grace has her hair up in a ponytail and her face shines as she smiles at me.