Chapter Twenty-Two

Day two into their journey. They had all just woken up, stomachs growling. Their travelling herbs wore off during the night and they were all hungry, with no place to hunt prey. Moosepelt suggested that they hurry and get to the grassy plain because the sooner they got there, the sooner they could hunt and find prey. They didn't run into much trouble, only a few twolegs here and there that left in their monsters and drove off, almost hitting them. "It's like they're blind," Ravenheart said with a laugh. Moosepelt and Bluepaw agreed quickly with his logic. They tried sticking to the shadows most of the time. They made great progress. A while past Sunhigh (About 5:00pm for humans, eastern time), they had finally come to the end, only because they had help from a nice little cat who was old enough to be an apprentice. They said their good-byes and went on their way. After another hour of travelling silently, the space opened up, revealing a large grassy plain.

"I bet there's some mice and maybe a few rabbits hiding all around here," Moosepelt told Ravenheart. The tom nodded and he trotted off to hunt. Along the way, Ravenheart and Moosepelt decided to take turns hunting so Bluepaw wasn't left alone, and they both told the young Medicine Cat that later on after they'd eaten they would show him some hunting techniques. While the Warriors took turns hunting and getting prey, the two cats left behind would constantly circle around, making a small, temporary resting place big enough for all three of them. They had a small pile of prey that would feed all three and they laid down, Bluepaw laying across from Ravenheart and Moosepelt, who were laying side by side.

Later, around sunset, they had eaten and rested and had more energy than before. Bluepaw asked if he could be shown the hunting moves. Ravenheart let Moosepelt do it, since she was trained by Silverstar for some time. Moosepelt nodded and walked to a nice area where they could practice. She showed Bluepaw the basics to hunting each type of prey, and then let him test out the moves. He managed to catch a mouse by himself, and a rabbit with Moosepelt's help. Bluepaw ate the rabbit while Moosepelt gave the mouse to Ravenheart at Bluepaw's request, and Moosepelt ate the last mouse that had been in the pile. Well-fed, they all wanted to keep going so they did for a little bit until they came to the edge of a forest. It was past Moonhigh by then, so they all took turns being the Guard. Moosepelt took the first watch, then Bluepaw, then Ravenheart. They kept moving after that and it was Sunhigh again. They were wasting time. Another day had past already. They traveled through the forest, following Moosepelt. She was afraid that she'd lead them the incorrect way and get them lost but they got deeper and deeper in the forest and slowly her confidence built up inside her. She saw a starry cat at one point that apparently only she could see, and she followed him until he disappeared from her sight. She kept going and none were tired so they continued on until they all needed rest.

Now four days into the journey, they all agreed they needed to start quickening their pace. They all hunted for themselves and then headed off at a trot and soon a slow run. They left the forest they were already traveling in and came to another open area. Moosepelt seemed to be confused but she kept going.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Bluepaw asked Moosepelt, concerned. "I promise you, we are," Moosepelt answered confidently, but inside she didn't seem confident in herself. She probably just got them all lost.