Pre-school

5 years old

Nathan Ackerman stood with his mother at the curb of his street. He wore his brand new red sneakers, his new green polo shirt, and his new batman back-pack.

His mother held his hand and occasionally smiled down at her son. Nathan flashed a toothy grin back.

They were waiting for the school bus.

Soon the red flashes of the school bus shone and its stop sign spread out. The door opened wide and revealed a smiling bus driver.

Nathan's mother kissed Nathan on the forehead. "Have a good day sweetie."

"I will mommy!"

Walking up the steps of the bus, he said a good morning to the bus driver. The bus driver gave a small nod.

Nathan was surprised to see the whole bus was almost full. Most of the boys he knew in his neighborhood were sitting with each other. He eyed the girl sitting alone in the back.

He walked down the aisle to the empty seat. "Hi my name is Nathan!" He flashed a toothy grin. "Is this seat taken?"

The girl cocked her head to one side and stared at Nathan's green eyes. "Yes.This seat is taken."

Nathan's smile disappeared. "By who?"

"Well not you."

Nathan wanted to say she was big fat meanie but he remembered to not call people names. "Can I please sit here? This is the only seat left."

"Is everything all right back there?" The bus driver called.

"This boy wants to sit next to me."

"It's the only seat left!"

"I don't want him to sit next to me!"

"She's a big meanie!"

The bus driver sighed. She should have chosen the middle schoolers instead. "Lilian, let the boy sit."

The girl groaned. "Ugh!" She slid to the window seat to make room for Nathan.

Nathan slid into the seat next to her, his bag he cautiously made sure she couldn't touch it.

They didn't speak for the whole ride.