Sixth-grade

12 years old

Nathan Ackerman barely had enough time to get out the door. He was in middle school and his parents would not help him. They say he had to 'grow-up'.

Quickly he grabbed a random sweater from the closet and put it on. "Bye mom! Gotta go!" He said as he ran out the door.

"Don't forget to close the door honey!"

"Yea I got it!"

Arriving at the curb of his street, he did just as the bus turned the corner. His hair was in a mess of black curls, his clothing were all wrinkled, but he had his smile to make an impression on his new teachers.

The bus stopped not at the curb but on the avenue. He grumbled and walked to the bus. The bus driver shot him a look that said get used to it kid.

He would anyways.

To Nathan, the bus seemed out of place compared to the one he had ridden since pre-school. But nothing less it was pretty much a school bus.

Some of his friends didn't get into the same middle school as him. But apparently Lilian did.

There she sat in the back with another girl. It was Veronica. Out of all girls who could have gotten into the same school as him, it was Veronica. He walked up to the seat. "Um hey Lilian." He did an awkward wave.

"Hey."

"HI! Good morning Nathan! Aren't you just excited about middle school?"

Nathan nodded and shrugged. "Um Veronica I usually sit next to Lilian."

Lilian stared at Nathan with a smug smile. "New school, new rules."

He narrowed his eyes at her and scowled. "Fine I'll sit next to Tony then."

Thankfully Tony got into the same middle school as he did. He walked back to the front and plopped into the seat.

"Sup Nathan. What brings you here to the front?"

"Oh nothing. My hometown is just being invaded by girls. You know the usual stuff."

"Feel ya bro."

"No bro. You don't. You really don't."