The Second Coming: Eight

"You... you're jealous."

We were back in the restaurant, he was sitting across from me sipping from his ice cold glass of Coca-Cola. I had my half-full glass of lemonade.

He was grinning at me like I was the most beautiful thing in the world. Our hands were clasped on the table top, and beneath the table our legs were comfortably intertwined.

In reality, Axl had seemed slightly uncomfortable for our entire first date (until we started drinking), but when I dreamt of these precious moments, we were already smitten.

"I... I was not."

"No, but you totally were. I understood a social signal, and you don't wanna accept it."

Only in my dreams, I wasn't awkward, inexperienced Callie. I was bubbly, I was outgoing, and I could order a god damned club sandwich all by myself.

"No, jealousy implies that I have insecurities, and you know that I don't. Jealousy implies that I would think... that loser has the ability to steal you right out from under me, and I don't."

His breath was warm in my ear, even though he was on the other side of the table. His hands were sliding up my legs, even though they were clearly wrapped around his glass of soda. He was inside of me, in more ways than one.

"Callie!"

I shot up in bed, straight as a board. Coming home from the studio was a distant occurrence, barely resting on the cusp of my memory. I was covered in a thin sheen of cold sweat, shaking all over. I hadn't taken off my street clothes, my shoes were dripping with melted snow in a heap beside my bed.

I felt like crying as I curled up even tighter, hugging my knees to my chest. It had felt so amazingly real this time, so real that it tore an even bigger chasm into my heart.

I wanted him so much and I hated him so badly, the force was enough to send me into physical illness every time I thought about it for too long- or had my spells.

It took me a good few minutes to realize there was someone softly knocking on my bedroom door, calling my name.

"Callie, please. I have to speak with you, please open this door."

I wasn't angry at Cap, but I had to pretend to be in order to excuse my recent absences around the house.

I glanced over at the clock, which read 10:02. I had only slept for a few restless hours; my body groaned in protest the minute I set my feet on the floor.

I went to the door and pressed against it slightly, thinking of something to say.

"I... I don't want to see you." I whispered gently, realizing with horror that I'd left my window cracked, and in my sleepy state had forgotten to re-brick it.

"Well... how am I to apologize to you if you won't even see me? You missed breakfast."

"I've been asleep. Where's Jess?"

"White House. Come out, I need to speak with you."

I placed my hand on the cold door knob for a few moments. I thought better of it and let my hands drop to my sides. I figured if I could milk this for a little bit longer, I could sneak out again to see Jon.

"I don't want to see you," I repeated.

He sighed, and I heard something thump. I hoped it was his head against the door.

"Don't come out at all then, Callie. Do not come out of this bedroom until you're ready to talk to me, you aren't to see anyone until then."

That irritated me, to say the least.