The Second Coming: Twelve

We were both so surprised, neither of us said a word.

Jon was standing there in all of his beautiful glory. It was clear to me that he'd already been through hair and makeup- or maybe he was just that perfect, without the erasure of flaws by little women in black clothing.

Jon's eyes were light- I could tell he was pleased, but still he kept his mouth shut.

The models giggled like little school girls, staring at us. "Will you not say hello, Mr. Jon?"

I opened my mouth to commence with the awkward greeting, but not before a storm cloud could roll in and ruin the whole thing. That particular cloud happened to be named Cap.

"Callie, I hope this whole endeavour doesn't take too long because we have a dinner meeting with the documentary crew around six, and..."

His voice trailed off as he approached and laid eyes on Jon.

Jon knew who Cap was, not that it was some big secret. He knew Cap ran the CIA, and Cap knew Jon was a domestic terrorist. Cap didn't know that Jon and I had a thing, though he probably knew that our thing had almost happened more than a year before.

This made for unbelievable tension. So, I decided it would be best to pretend that I was completely uninterested by Jon's presence, and turned my back to him.

"What was that you were saying?"

Cap wasn't even looking at me anymore. He was frowning deeply at Jon, and I could tell a million thoughts were flying through his head at once.

Jon didn't seem to understand what was happening, but he was smart enough not to talk.

"Cap? What's the matter?"

"He... is who you'll be working with on this project?"

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I don't know, I didn't pick him. That was a company decision. I didn't even know about this shoot until a few hours ago anyway, this was your choice," I pointed out.

I heard Jon sigh softly behind me- he was catching on.

Cap squinted at me for a moment and roughly grabbed my forearm.

"Come," he said sharply.

I winced in pain a little as he practically dragged me across the room and far away from Jon at an impossible pace. He slowed slightly only once substantial distance had been achieved.

"This is unacceptable," he was saying, more to himself than to me. "I cannot have you around that man! He's cancerous, poisonous... he will corrupt you just as he and his insufferably dumb companions did before!"

"Cap," I said softly. "It's just an ad. It's okay, it's not like I have to... um..." The lie got caught in my throat, and I no longer had the ability to finish my sentence.

He turned to face me and placed both his hands on my shoulders. His expression was deadly serious- it scared me a little bit.

"Listen here. We are going to do this shoot, we're going to get out, and you're never going to have to see that man again. I'm sure it hurts you a lot to look at him, and you won't have to go through that pain any more after today. I'll make sure that future shoots are solo, okay?"

Before I could respond the cherry woman approached, thankfully with a robe in her hand.

I slipped it over my shoulders. "Come with me to the break room, you can rest there until the shoot begins."

She turned to Cap. "Sir, there's a call for you in the lobby, it's urgent apparently?"

He made a face, stepping away from me slightly. "Go with her, Callie. I'll be back shortly." He broke into a brisk speedwalk and disappeared from the room.