Chapter One

Zelene stood on a raised dais in the middle of the gardens of Anscombe. She struggled to stay still, and ignored the frowns of concern both Rhaya and Isauria directed at her. Ariana was blissfully ignorant to her twin's discomfort. A radiant smile played across her lips, but there was an edge to it. Almost as though it was too radiant. Forced. Zelene shook off her concerns for Ariana. Whatever was troubling her was not Zelene's problem. She had enough on her mind.

She hated being there. The music was too loud. Too many people crammed into one space, just dying to see the spectacle that was about to occur. Bodies filled the gardens and spilled into the buildings, even filling the walkways above. People were everywhere, giving a claustrophobic feeling to such an open area. They were on display, and Zelene did not feel like playing along. She was exhausted, hot, and her dress was itchy. And worst of all...this was the last place Zelene had seen him alive.

Kyle.

They had argued here, in this very garden, the night he was taken. The next time she would see him, it would be through her "gift" to see the dead. She wondered if his ghost would reappear now.

The music ceased and the crowd parted, the guests letting out gasps of awe at the sight of Terrena. She raised her chin, released a shaky breath, and moved forward with the procession. The three remaining Duillaine Banair accompanied her. Normally, only her father and mother would be required for the ceremony. Since she was Duillaine Ainnir, she no longer belonged to just her father and mother. She belonged to the Duillaine and was theirs to give away.

Zelene's gaze flitted to Cedwen, who stood just off the raised dais as a guest of honor. And possible future husband to Zelene or Ariana. Her demeanor darkened at this significantly, causing Rhaya to shift uncomfortably beside her. Zelene tried to hide the glare she automatically directed at Sylvanna, but Terrena caught sight of it. Shockingly, Terrena didn't give her an admonishing look or a stern frown.

No, Terrena actually smiled.

"Could your anger be any louder?" Rhaya finally grumbled softly.

"Sorry," Zelene whispered back. "This whole thing is ridiculous. Terrena just lost Kenward and barely knows this dude."

"Terrena's a big girl," Rhaya responded through a smile aimed at the people in the crowds. "She could have postponed the marriage."

"Wassail," Isauria corrected them. "It's not permanent until a year has gone by."

Zelene and Rhaya exchanged knowing looks, both hearing the uncertainty in Izzy's voice. She was trying to convince herself of this more than them. After all, she was next in line.

"Whatever. That might be how it works everywhere else but the Duillaine have made it clear that we don't really get a choice. Terrena is stuck with him." Zelene turned her head to look at the groom. He stood at the bottom of the platform, waiting for the Duillaine to hand him Terrena.

"Tell me you aren't going to do anything stupid," Isauria pleaded with Zelene.

"She isn't," Rhaya answered before she could.

Zelene pulled back, puzzled. "Excuse me?"

Rhaya lifted a shoulder. "I'd be able to sense it if you were angry enough to do anything. I was there with Sylvanna, remember?"

"Oh. Right." Still, Zelene didn't like that Rhaya could read her that well. Or that she wasn't angry enough to do something about this ridiculous tradition. The truth was that she was simply too tired to do anything. They'd barely had three days to recover from their rescue mission with Ariana before being informed that the Duillaine had no intentions of postponing the Imbolc festival and Wassail rites. In fact, they planned to make the festivities even larger since they had more to celebrate now.