Chapter Two

Terrena stood before the raised dais of the Duillaine, tempted to take the empty chair Nandalia used to occupy. She'd asked to meet with the Duillaine, but instead of an informal setting, they'd chosen to flex their power and have her stand before them like a little girl. But Terrena was no longer the meek girl that had arrived in Anscombe. She was a woman, and a fighter, just like her father had taught her to be. And she knew her place was on that platform instead of before them.

"What is it we can help you with, dear?" Meridel asked kindly, a sympathetic smile pulling at her lips.

"Nothing, I suppose," Terrena said, thinking the idea of the Duillaine helping them was absolutely laughable at this point. "I only intended to inform you of the details for my travels to Baiulta."

Sylvanna scoffed. "How nice of you to inform us this time. And without an audience."

Terrena ignored the jab. "Reilly will accompany me, of course. It is my hope that my sister and Zelene will also join us--"

Meridel frowned. "You haven't discussed this with them? Forgive me, I assumed after your announcement yesterday that more plotting in the shadows had been occurring."

"There have been no plots, unless you count the discussions I've had with my betrothed on the matter."

"This was his idea?"

Terrena stifled a huff, knowing they wanted someone to blame for this. "His idea to mend fences with the Athucreans, yes. When he told me of his plans to travel there next in his efforts to recruit for your army--"

"Our army," Sylvanna corrected her, eyes narrowed. "You are still a Duillaine, are you not?"

She forced a sweet smile. "Yes, but recent events have proven we're not as likely to cower behind the shields of others as we are to lead them to battle ourselves. We don't need an army because we are the army. I believe that is a notion the Athucreans can respect, which is why I've elected to visit them personally."

"And proffer a Cyneward back to them," Solanna said, speaking up for the first time. Exhaustion lined her every feature, no doubt from worrying about her long-lost daughter now returned to her. "I could understand if Zelene or Rhaya stood before me with this same idea. Their ignorance is understandable. But yours is not, nor is your empty hope you've offered that boy. Even if he returns home and chooses to have a life of his own, it will be short lived. The moment his ward is born, he will return. He will abandon all those he loves and devote his life to her. You know this. You witnessed Kenward's devotion to you."

"It is exactly for Kenward that I must do this, Solanna." She spread her hands pleadingly, hoping the more compassionate of the Duillaine would understand. "We must find a way to sever this bond. The history between the Athucreans and the Duillaine is not lost on me. Every Athucrean parent lives in fear of the talents their sons display, knowing that the more superior they prove to be, the more likely the Duillaine will steal them away to be chosen as Cynewards. I believe that, in bringing back one of those lost sons not yet a full-fledged Cyneward, we might show them that we are extending a friendly hand. Perhaps even restore some faith in the Duillaine once more."

Meridel rolled her eyes. "This entire plan is folly, Terrena. I understand that you lost your Cyneward—"

"You understand nothing," Terrena snapped and took a cold step forward. "Do not pretend to understand the loss I feel. I do this, I reach my hand to the Athucreans, to honor Kenward and the sacrifices he made for me while he lived. I will not be swayed, so hold your breath."

"You may have won this battle against Kellen, Terrena," Sylvanna said with great sympathy, "but you do not understand this war or the politics of the worlds. Not like we do. You need more time as a Duillaine Banair before you will be ready for decisions like these."