Chapter Seventeen

After about twenty minutes of waiting I finally got the text from mom that read, 'He is here. Penny is in her room acting sad although I'm not sure I can continue. It's a bit hard for me when I know you're fine. Please hurry.'

I glance to Axel and nod as we move to the house quickly we both move up to the door and knock on it. Since the servants have been sent away it's my mom who answers the door smiling to me slightly holding a tissue.

"Hello." Axel says beginning just as we practiced. "I'm here to speak with Mr. Howe. He is home yes?"

She nods slowly before disappearing inside to get my father who then returns with her looking a bit confused until his eyes fall upon Axel. He clears his throat and fixes his jacket.

"Hello Mr. Kealer."

"Hello Mr. Howe." He smiles slightly holding out his hand which my father takes slowly shaking it once before moving back. "We have some business to discuss. Mind if I come in?" Axel asks still smiling only slightly.

Father looks a little started before nodding and moving to the side. "Of course. Come in." he looked to mom, "We'll be in my study." His eyes then move to me. "Why don't you take this young lady and get her something to eat?"

"No." Axel, mom, and I all say at the same time, which probably seems very suspicious.Dad looks at all of us confused.

"Then kitchen is a mess I don't want to show anyone that train wreck." Mom says laughing slightly.

"I want her there with me, she won't say anything... she mostly mute except for the word no." Axel says smiling trying to help mom play it off.

Father looks at all of us again before blinking. "Okay then... right this way..." He mumbles leading us to his office.

Fun fact, I've never actually been in this room or this half of the house. I've never seen any interest in going over here, besides I wasn't actually aloud in the room so this is all a new experience for me.

On the way to the room we walk past walls of pictures each one a picture of his children all except me... I don't understand why he hates me so much? It just doesn't make sense. I don't do anything for him to feel this way about me.

Axel must have noticed the pictures or saw me looking at them because he then moves me a bit closer to him squeezing my hand as a sign or reassurance.

I smile slightly looking to him, I mean clearly he isn't a bad guy but... I still have no idea how I actually feel. I turn my head away and sigh inwardly. Why are feelings like love hard?... Wait no I can't be worrying about this right now the plan. I need to worry only about the plan.

My father glances back to us before moving to open the door leading us into his study, with books surrounding what I can only assume is his desk since there are two in here... I just feel like he would want to be in the center of it all.

He moves over to two couches facing each other with a small table in between. My father sits at one while Axel moves sitting at the other. I stay standing, I'm trying to play it off as if I'm a servant so I really shouldn't be making myself at home in my home.

Father glances to me before sitting back against the couch looking to Axel. "This is about Winter am I correct?"