Chapter Eight

[NM]
The time had finally come.

After 1,000 painful years of emotional instability in a painful, weakened state, I had long grown tired of this rocky prison. It was time to get my revenge and finish Princess Celestia once and for all.

It was long overdue.

It had taken Luna long enough, but she had finally figured out the truth behind Celestia's betrayal through her own mental powers. Now she has embraced me and allowed me to take control, as she rightfully should.

She was too weak to make the trip back home anyways.

However, before I could make my final departure, a familiar sound that I hadn't heard in far too long rang in my ears. I turned around.

There it was; the blue box. It was a sight for sore eyes, but it was my eyesore now.

The doors opened, and out he came. He looked much older now, but not in the traditional sense:

He still had those handsome features that Luna had observed when she'd first met him. Now though, that black scar on his face had gotten bigger, and he had black blotches in his mane and tail.

In a sense, he'd aged the same way Luna had in her years here, getting taller and more slender, her mane filling with magic...

Same basic concept.

I turned to look at Alex, staring deep into his hard brown eyes. He looked angry, but he wasn't too keen on showing it. His face was firm. His frown was deep.

The doors of his box closed behind him, and he took one step forward.

I could already tell that this conversation would not be pleasant.

"Nightmare Moon..." Alex said without emotion. He shook his head in disappointment, "It's indescribable how disappointed I am to see this.

"I leave you alone for awhile so you can mature, and I come back to find that nothing has changed. In fact, it's gotten worse. Instead of maturing, you self destructed." Alex said harshly.

His words stung.

"What would you know about disappointment, Alex? Nothing! Not like I've known. To have your whole life wasted, and for what?! Celestia doomed me, sentenced me to life! Life on this prison!

"She rendered me a lost cause because she was too weak to stop me and too heartless to save me! My life has amounted to nothing thus far because Celestia stole it! Now I'm going to take it back!" I screamed at him.

"What then, Luna? Or Nightmare Moon? Whatever you are. It doesn't make a difference anymore.

"You can go and win. Take over. Condemn your sister. Yeah, sure, that might turn out well.

"And then what? You think you're fit to rule? You're a child! The only thing that you'll amount to anything this way is if you lead your subjects out of fear. What kind of way is that to live?

"All you'll be is exactly what you and Celestia rebelled against all those years ago: a hated tyrant. You'll be exactly what your subjects saw you as when you were banished: a hated nightmare.

"You're not fit to rule. You can't forgive. You've no lasting love nor compassion. You refuse to take responsibility for your own actions, and all you do when you're too wallowed in your own self-pity to own up to your mistakes is blame your loved ones.

"Yeah, you got dumped here. So what? Who would've died if she hadn't? Your sister may not be perfect, but she never made a monster of herself.

"That's why she's down there, and you're up here!" Alex concluded in a screaming growl, flicking tears away.

[Luna]
To be perfectly honest, this is the hardest chapter I've ever had to write. Part of me wanted to leave it out, but it seemed too crucial to do so.

Alex's words rang true in my ears. It hurt to hear how true it all was. Even with tears in his eyes, he still could stare right through me, right through Nightmare Moon.

For the first and only time, he had shown that he had become attached to me too.

His powerful words stung so much that even Nightmare Moon shed a few tears, and was unable to formulate any counterargument.

"I...hate you...!"

That was all she could muster through her gritted, trembling, clenched teeth. Alex's nose twitched angrily, and he exhaled sharply.

He turned away, entering his box. It quickly disappeared.

Even in the midst of Nightmare Moon's fury, my heart broke. My feelings were torn in half.

I loved him, and I hated him. I was sorry that I failed him, and angry that he failed me. I was sad that I'd lost him, and also tired of his judgement.

Either way, history books can say what happened next...

***

Coming home again quickly changed from a revenge plot to a second chance, which I was grateful for. I was weaker than I had ever been, but I was finally home again.

I still remembered him...

Regret became a common everyday emotion for me; not just because of my shameful actions as Nightmare Moon, but also because of my final encounter with Alex.

After declaring my hatred for him as Nightmare Moon, I never saw him again. I never told my sister about his visits, and I couldn't bring myself to ask her about him, so my questions remained unanswered.

That only further fed into my guilty conscience, which would continue to eat at me relentlessly for years to follow.

I created the Tantabus as a result.

The Tantabus was the final result of my self-condemnation. Years and years of pent up emotions weren't enough anymore, so I created the Tantabus as my own personal nightmare; a way to assure that I never forgave myself and never forgot the things that had happened as a result of my failures.

This is what was happening deep inside.

However, I was also sincerely happy it was finally all over. Things have certainly changed tremendously, and it has taken some getting used to.

As time passes though, I feel it had gotten easier and easier slipping into the new habits and practices of my old role.

The best part, however, has been reuniting with my sister.

Getting back in touch with her was like meeting an old friend again, but for the first time.

In her own ways, she has matured gracefully. And yet, everyday I can see those same old sparks of child-like mischief in her, and she's found unique ways of entertaining her playful traits.

I enjoy her company again, especially her silly (and sometimes vulgar) sense of humor.

I suppose that is all now. Thank you for reading my short series of entries. It wasn't easy to put so much of myself down in paper, but I feel much better about it all now that I've gotten everything out.

It's funny; even now, I'm still learning things from my mistakes. I know, however, that I've matured much more since then.

Finally, things are truly happy again. Finally, I can enjoy the things I've missed. And finally, I can look in the mirror and smile proudly at the Princess looking back at me.

I suppose everything happens in its own time.

~Princess Luna

The End