Chapter 2

"Mom, can we wander camp now?" Thistlekit moaned.

   "Fine, fine. Just stick together and stay safe!" She licked their heads.

   Featherkit and Thistlekit jumped up in excitement and raced into the center of camp. So many warriors roamed around, some only sitting and talking. Timberleap said that it was the time of the day where warriors shared tongues. Thistlekit noticed that Rocktuft was missing from the image.

   "I wonder where Rocktuft is? Timberleap says he's a brave warrior! I want some tips," He gleamed and started marching around camp, asking where Rocktuft might be. All he got were I don't knows and Featherkit mewing to wait for her to catch up.

   Finally he came up to Yang, his father, "Yang?"

   Yang broke from his conversation to nuzzle both his kits, "Yes my dear Thistlekit?"

   "Do you know where Rocktuft is?"

   "Ah," Yang looked into the nursery, "Yes. He is with Larkstripe. Larkstripe hasn't been doing so well since her kits are due to come anytime now. He'll never leave her side until he knows she's fine. I was just like him, when you weren't born yet. Always making sure your mother was safe," He purred.

   "Oh," Thistlekit's tail drooped. "That's ok. I'll see him later."

   Yang cocked his head to the side, "What's wrong?"

   "I just wanted to get some hunting and fighting tips from him. Timberleap says he's a brave warrior! I want to be like him."

   Yang flattened his ears in sympathy, "Of course you'll be like him!" He stood taller, "You'll be the bravest warrior LightningClan has seen, even better than Rocktuft. Excuse me, I must talk to Nettlestar." Yang got up and headed into the cave inside the Great Rock.

   Featherkit shuffled her paws, "Sorry you didn't get to see Rocktuft."

   "It's ok," Thistlekit murmured.

~~~

   "All cats of LightningClan old enough to hunt for themselves, gather beneath the Great Rock for a Clan meeting!" Nettlestar stood proudly on the Great Rock, addressing his Clan.

   The cats murmured as they came and huddled beneath the rock. It was only obvious that it was Thistlekit's and Featherkit's apprentice ceremony. It's time LightningClan got some new and energetic apprentices. Yellowpaw and Bouncepaw are still dragging themselves around camp. It's like they're always forced to do something they don't want to do.

   Nettlestar looked at the two kits that were all cleaned up from Timberleap's quick groom, "Thistlekit and Featherkit, please come to the bottom of the Great Rock." The leader jumped down in a quick movement and watched them jog to the rock.

   Nettlestar touched noses with the two kits, "Thistlekit and Featherkit," He twitched his ear, calling a silence over the camp. "You have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Thistlepaw and Featherpaw. Featherpaw, your mentor will be Twigwhisper."

   "Twigwhisper, please come up," Nettlestar mewed.

   Twigwhisper swiftly trotted over to her leader and looked at him thoughtfully.

   "Twigwhisper, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Darkclaw , and you have shown yourself to be swift and strong. You will be the mentor of Featherpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

   Twigwhisper bent down and touches Featherpaw's nose. They sat down and looked over the Clan.

   "Thistlepaw, your mentor will be..." A yowl stopped Nettlestar in his tracks. He immediately looked at the nursery, the source of the yowling. Gorsestorm scrambled to his feet and ran in. All the warriors slowly clustered around the entrance.

   Rocktuft stood in the entrance, broad muscles rippled through his fur and his yellow eyes blazed, "Back off! She needs space!" He snapped, pawing at the crowd.

   Groaning in defiance, the cats backed up. Another yowl wafted through the air. Gorsestorm gently drew his paw over Larkstripe's flank, "One more, you can do it," he whispered.

   Yet another yowl rang through Thistlepaw's ears. But he didn't seem to notice, he was like a fire on the inside. He was supposed to be an apprentice right now, who would his mentor be?

   Two mews weakly sounded. The Clan stifled purrs. Rocktuft came out, "Pikekit and Flowerkit."

   The Clan yowled in approval of the two new kits that had just entered their world. Rocktuft gave Larkstripe a reassuring lick and came back into the clearing with the rest of the Clan to see Nettlestar appoint Thistlepaw's mentor.

   "Sorry Thistlepaw. I shall continue where I left off," Nettlestar cleared his throat and looked at the energetic and young Thistlepaw, "I took careful time to think about your mentor. Rocktuft, please come up.

   "Rocktuft, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Sandcloud, which she had received excellent training from Patchjaw, and was a great mentor to me. You have shown yourself to be brave and careful. You will be the mentor of Thistlepaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him." Rocktuft purred and touched noses with Thistlepaw.

  Nettlestar called out, "LightningClan, we shall welcome our new apprentices!"

   "Thistlepaw! Featherpaw! Thistlepaw! Featherpaw!"

   The two siblings gleamed as the Clan cheered their name. Afterward they both went to Timberleap and Yang to celebrate.