Chapter 7

"It wants us to fight."

"Why?"

"Because then it can sneak up on us."

The Doctor sounded only slightly afraid, that was the first thing that she noticed. He was still gripping her hand with a bruising force and she swallowed hard, afraid of what was coming, afraid to speak or move or breathe.

His voice was steady and calm and usually that would make her less afraid, but when she couldn't see anything. The forest seemed like it was getting even darker, and she didn't know quite what to do about it, really. There was no where to go, no where that they could go to know that they would feel safe. So she followed the Doctor's lead, staying perfectly still, her feet rooted to the ground.

"Don't move," the Doctor whispered, as though hearing her thoughts. He stepped closer to her and she felt a little more comfortable, knowing that he was closer. She didn't feel safe necessarily, but she relaxed slightly at his proximity. It was familiar.

"Wasn't gonna," she whispered back.

There was no way to know if someone or something was coming, not with the barren forest floor. She hadn't even heard the Doctor approach as much as felt him. Rose tried to focus her senses on what was around her, even what was in front of her to try and keep the Doctor safe.

She didn't know how long they stood there, frozen in fear. The Doctor's breathing was even and slow, and that soothed her slightly. Feeling stranded, so far away from him, she took another step forward and wrapped her free arm around his waist. He rested his hand on her back, his other hand still holding hers.

"Can you hear anything?" She asked softly, her mouth right next to his ear so she wouldn't have to speak loudly.

He shook his head, and she must have imagined the shiver that ran down his spine. She could feel his hearts beating against her chest and she swallowed hard, waiting for him to speak.

"No," he said, "Well, I can, yes, but I can't hear anything coming, which I suppose is what your'e asking."

"Yes," Rose said, "That's what I'm asking."

"I'm listening, don't worry," he said, "We're just going to have to figure out which direction we're going to need to run."

"Can you see the end of the forest?" She asked, feeling slightly guilty for peppering him with so many questions. "With your superior sight and all that."

He chuckled low in her ear and held her a little closer. "No," he admitted, "I can't see anything."

That was a little disheartening, but Rose wondered if once whatever was chasing them walked away, they would be safe to wander about until they found the edge. Rose shuffled one foot experimentally on the ground. She didn't hear any sound when she did so and wondered if something was going to change around them. Before, she could at least hear the sound of their feet on the ground.

"Doctor?" She whispered, or tried to whisper, for she couldn't see anything at all. She pulled back and looked at him and tried to say his name again. She could only see the whites of his eyes, and they narrowed as he tried to read her lips with his superior eyesight. She watched as he shook his head, trying to follow his eyes. So he couldn't hear her either. She swallowed, and couldn't hear that either, even as if came from her own body.

Her heart was thundering in her chest, she could feel it. She felt something creeping up behind her and buried herself in the Doctor's chest, not sure what else to do. his hearts were still beating at a steady pace but his respiration rate was up, and that alone was enough to make her realize that whatever she was feling, he was seeing.