4 - Wisconsin

4 – Wisconsin

I shiver through my clothes. Why did he have to pick here of all places? At least it's not Antarctica.

I'm leaning casually against a streetlight post, keeping my eyes open for the Winter Soldier. I know he won't be in his getup he'd had when with HYDRA, but he'll be fairly easily to spot. That's assuming he doesn't feel like he's being watched.

Since Tessa and I have touched down in Wisconsin, I've gotten straight to work. While she keeps out of my way, I've been searching for the Winter Soldier. I found him a few times but lost him. He would be in my vision for about a second, but then he'd be gone in almost the literal blink of an eye.

One second sightings were definitely not enough for me; I needed to find him and end him. After some frustration, I thought about my approach, and I began to think like him. He had a routine, he wasn't erratic like I suspected he would be. So far, he's surprised me.

I watch the lazy traffic go by on the roads. The nipping air blows my blonde hair around me, knocking it into my mouth. I hastily pull it out, keeping my blue eyes on the lookout. I'm so close, all I need is his exact location, and then I can go in for the kill.

I almost don't catch him, he's dressed warmly and keeps his hands in his pockets. But I see a slip of silver exposed. The one defining feature of the Winter Soldier is his left arm: it's bionic and silver. It's a sore if easily seen. When hidden, you'd think he has two normal, flesh arms.

I let the Winter Soldier walk a ways before I detach from my streetlight and begin to tail him. This is my first time actually following him and keeping my distance. I keep my pace brisk, I can't lose him.

I don't realize just how long and far he walks. He stops at a small diner, and I can't help but follow him inside. If I stand outside and wait, he'll suspect. He's not dumb, he's probably as sharp as I am.

I grudgingly go in and get seated into an empty booth. I don't feel uncomfortable, I feel very guarded. Not like anyone's out to kill me. More like I'm aware that one wrong move, and I can lose my prey.

That is, if he knows he's being watched.

He hangs around for about an hour and a half, ordering food and sitting by his lonesome self. To blend in, I get some food for myself, indulge a little. The food is much better than the crap HYDRA gives me. I debate on not finishing my food to give Tessa some leftovers. Why are you focusing on her wellbeing? She's your on-call doctor. The mission. Focus on the mission.

My mission walks out the door five minutes later, and I find myself nearly hurrying after him in fear of losing his trail.

I lick my lips as I just barely catch him turning a corner. I jog a little to close the gap slightly. As I round the corner, I have enough time to react when I see him lunge for me out of the corner of my eye. I meet him with a lunge with my own, and I send him into the wall. I pull out my small knife and go for him.

I growl as I try to force the knife into his face, but his bionic arm is preventing that. I push harder, trying to make his arm cave so I can get him. I need to weaken him before I kill him.

He kicks me in the gut, sending me stumbling back off the sidewalk. I quickly fall on my ass as I lose my footing in the transition from sidewalk to street. He stalks to me, dressed in normal clothing, as expected. I swing the knife at him as he tries to grab me. I jump to my feet, hearing loud car horns in my ear.