28 - Back To A Cage

28 – Back To A Cage

I really wish that my head pain is from a hangover when I come to. But I know it's from that damn sedative the HYDRA agent gave me in the car.

Once my eyes open, I realize I'm on the floor. The floor is cold. This feels similar to my experience with S.H.I.E.L.D. Oh, if only.

I'm alone in this room. Tessa. Where's Tessa? What have they done with her?

"Good, you're awake."

Through the glass window, I have a smug Agent Sparks watching me from the other side. I take my time in rising to my feet. I look around. No cot, no bathroom, and gray brick walls. Homey.

"Welcome back, Victoria."

I look at Agent Sparks. "Where's Tessa?"

"She's fine."

"I don't believe that."

"Ward is personally questioning her as we speak. I got the honor to interrogate you, with a little help."

I turn slightly as the door to my room opens. My mouth parts at seeing Sharon Carter enter. She's got a stony expression on her face, her brown eyes void of any emotion. Oh my God. "Sharon?"

"She won't answer to you, Victoria. Only to HYDRA, which you aren't anymore. For now."

I turn back to Agent Sparks. "What did you do to her?" Sharon Carter watches me with a blank stare. She isn't armed, but I'm still wary.

"I showed her the light."

"Did you show Romanoff and Rogers 'the light' too?"

She chuckles. "I think I'll let you find that out on your own."

I'll take that as a "yes", I think grimly. It's just as Tessa and I feared. HYDRA is converting the Avengers, the last bits of S.H.I.E.L.D., into their droning minions. I feel like vomiting. James is going to be furious. He's going to want to kill all of them.

"Where are they, Victoria? I know you met up with them, what's left. You were seen with two Avengers and our former Asset."

"I won't deny it." I shrug. "Look, I suck at geography." I cry out as an arm smacks into my gunshot wounds from months ago. I buckle to my knees, coughing violently. From the corner of my eye, I see Sharon standing over me, tensed and ready. I'm sent onto my side with a kick to the face.

"All you need to do is tell the truth and she stops, it's that simple."

"Nothing is ever simple with HYDRA."

Agent Sparks snorts. "You sound just like him."

"Who?"

"Adam."

I glare at her. "How do you know that name?"

"We have his file, moron. How else do you think we assigned you targets?"

"There's more to it."

Agent Sparks gets closer to the glass. "Okay, you got me. Before you, there was me."

I laugh. "You're not his type." She's feeding me bullshit.

"Really? Pretty, blonde, lethal."

"I'm not psycho."

She smirks. "Not you, per se, but the Angel is."

"He didn't fall in love with her, he fell in love with me."