19 - Just Like They Do In the Movies

19 – Just Like They Do In the Movies

Rogers takes cover behind the car while bullets fly in our direction. James pulls me down, my hands kiss the concrete. He quickly then leaps up, firing his pistol across the street in the dark. At the loud noises, nearby dogs are barking viciously. I crawl along the sidewalk, dropping lower when I hear a bullet pierce one of the car windows.

Just as I stumble to my feet, Captain America's shield nearly takes off my head. James ducks, and a person garbed in black is hit directly in the forehead. They are sent to the ground, and like the night births them, more people in black emerge.

"Get to the car!" I shout, limping and dodging the bullets. I pull on the passenger door handle. Locked. Oh, come on! The gunfire has stopped, the enemy has to be moving in.

I look back. James and Rogers are a team, bouncing combat moves off each other and finishing off one HYDRA agent after another. Rising to full height now, I turn away, jamming my elbow into the passenger side window. The glass shatters, some small pieces nicking my arm. I reach in, ducking when I hear more gunfire, finding the unlock button on the inside. I wrench open the door, climbing in, leaving it open.

Natasha Romanoff is nowhere to be found.

I climb into the driver's side, blaring the horn impatiently. The car is in park, and I see no keys. She must've hotwired it. I duck, hearing the bullet zoom over my head. The car trembles and is rattled as a HYDRA agent is flown against the right side of the car.

"Hey, play time is over!" I scream hoarsely. I put the car into drive and gun it out of the chaos. Thankfully, Rogers and James notice and start running after me. The passenger side door is flapping wide open, and James is the one to leap in. He slams the door, which rattles the car more.

"You got to slow down!" he barks. I see Rogers in the mirror. He looks a bit beat up, but he's slowly gaining on the car.

"I can't go too slow, they'll catch us!" I hiss. "Tell him to get his ass into overdrive or something!"

"Don't crash us."

"Ouch, hey!" James climbs into the back, accidentally kicking my right shoulder. The wind through the car makes my hair fly into my eyes, and I can hear James shouting for Rogers.

"Okay, go, go!" James shouts.

My foot slams on the pedal, and the car takes off. We blow through a red light, nearly being T-boned by a car that was actually given the right to go. "Where the hell am I going?"

"Just drive," Rogers says. I look at him in the mirror. "Once we're safe, I'll take over."

"How you doing up there, Vick?" James asks me. I can see him looking through the back of the car.

"Fine, for now."

"You didn't tear anything, did you?"

"Well, I haven't passed out from blood loss, so I'm gonna go with no. How did they find us so fast? Romanoff said you guys weren't followed!"

"We weren't," Rogers snaps.

"Unless you were and didn't realize it." My grip tightens on the steering wheel. "They must've gotten the jump on her."

"That's a hard thing to do. She's always five steps ahead."

Well, in that case, HYDRA's upped their game. If they can get to Romanoff, we're in trouble. "And neither of you saw her?"

"No."

I briefly close my eyes. First Sharon Carter (possibly), and now most likely Natasha Romanoff is in enemy hands. I want to scream in outrage. They're picking us off, one by one. Instead of Hell's Angel picking them off, HYDRA is capturing them. What they're doing with them afterwards, my biggest hunch is murder. HYDRA wants to rule the world, which means eliminating all the good who are trying to stop them.