Prolouge

LUKE
Ashton is the school hottie, everyone has a crush on him, even me. I hate to admit it. I beat myself up everyday because I'll never have him. Nobody wants to find love for the gender they know won't be accepted. Nobody wants to fall in love with the most popular boy in school who doesn't know they exist. They don't want to be different or weird. That's all people get though. Friends, family, even strangers judge people because they don't like what they see.

I didn't ask to fall in love with someone who will never know I exist. I didn't ask for him to be as straight as an uncooked spaghetti noodle. However, we never get what we ask for. I asked to have friends. I laugh at myself now because I know that's something I'll never have, seeing as no one seems to see me.

This year will be my year, I repeat in my head, despite it already being most of the way through the year. I known it's a lie but still I hope for it to be true.

While All Time Low blares through the headphones connected to my iPod, Calum comes into the room we share.

"Your dad wanted me to tell you that Ben is here, he needs to talk to you," Calum says not caring what so ever.

I was shocked that Ben had stopped by. All though, I simply nod at what Calum had said and head downstairs to genuinely see Ben there. He was crying.

"Mom died," he says through sniffles.

My whole body shuts down and I start crying without knowing. My knees feel weak and my heart sinks. I feel like I'm going to throw up. My insides churn and my legs turn to crashing buildings during an earthquake. This must be some kind of foul joke, I think to myself. However, it isn't, and I soon learn I'll never see my mom again because she died in a car crash. Apparently, on impact.

The only thing that made this worse is Ben had to leave, making there absolutely no one who'd ever care or understand. At least not currently in my life. Even after the brother I rarely got to see left, I was still against the wall with my knees to my chest and dehydrated from all of the endless tears that came from my eyes. 

~~~~~

ASHTON
There's a sense of urgency streaming through my entire body as I run down the long stretched track. I wonder as to how I became so popular in the short amount of time I've been here.

The feet beneath me move at a pace that feels like it would never stop. I didn't want it to. When I'm running, I can think. It helps me clear my head.

I sort of figured that out after I'd been bullied as badly as I had been at my old school. It was all the way across the country, and no one here would ever know who I used to be. Maybe that's why I'm popular. They don't know who I really am.

My feet move beneath me as my thoughts wander. I feel ecstatic as I make my 12th lap around the track. I can hear my heart thumping in my ears, yet I'm not tired at all. It's like no one could ever stop me. No one could chase me down.

I turn and look at the sky. The horizon a muted pink color. It was so pretty. That's something I'd never tell a living soul. Rumors would spread like HPV. I can imagine it now: the popular jock that everyone loves called a sunset pretty; he must be gay.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket that interrupts the music I'm listening to. I decide to make my last lap around the track. Even towards the end when I feel spite running through my veins I still can't get off of the high of feeling free.

As I make my way towards the end of my last lap, I see someone crying. A scrawny kid I've never seen before. He hasn't seemed to notice me so I decide to pretend like I hadn't seen him either.

I don't have a car, so I just walk 'home' after my time spent at the school is over. Not thinking anymore of the tall, blond boy, with tears running down his face. I didn't need to, because I'd been him before. The helpless boy that no one wanted around. No one helped me, so why should I help him?

Although it shocks me as to why anyone would go to the school if they were sad. School is living hell. A reminder of hatred. If I knew any other public place with a track like this, besides the local gym that has a costly monthly membership, I'd be there instead.

I approach the foster home and head straight to my small room in the back. Changing the playlist currently playing my very outdated smartphone that didn't act very smart anymore.

My finger drifts over a particular playlist on the screen that once was my lifeline, I click on it and let my thoughts drift and eyes close. All Time Low blasting from the earbuds.