2

LUKE
One could say that I've lived a fairly normal life. Parents get divorced. Parents remarry to other people. Parents are happier than before.

My mom left when I was 5, and ever since then I just had my dad, Jack, and Ben. I was always the baby, and most important person in the house. Until,  Andrew Hemmings fell in love with Joy Hood.

From that point on, I was no longer of importance. Calum, my stepbrother, and I are each others outlets. Ben and Jack moved out because of their newfound hatred for who our father has become.

Apparently,  Andrew and Joy are perfect for each other. They both no longer care for their youngest child. However, Calum got occasional praise for being on the football team.

I've never been good enough for them.

-

I lose my train of thought when I hear the school bell ring with victory. We were released from the pits of hell for 30 minutes for lunch. The skidding of feet across the floor sounds like a muffled scratch on a chalk board. The roar of students swallowed the halls with bits of banter.

I catch a glimpse of a familiar dirty blonde boy. The one I can't help but have unrequited love for. As I turn around to go find my locker I could swear I saw him look at me. It must just be my "active imagination" from reading all of those outdated books from the school library.

I take my bag and walk to my familiar spot. I liked it out on the bleachers next to the track. My home away from home. I could hide there until I needed to actually go home to eat and sleep. I'd have the whole world to myself. The best part, no one cares about the track at this dumb high school. I didn't have to deal with the Jocks and Populars who don't want to deal with me.  The even better part, it was still part of school so no one would dare be seen here.

My thoughts are erased from my head as I climb the bleachers to sit at the top row. I see a figure in the slight distance walking towards the track. It was an unfamiliar sight. It especially came as a shock to me.

Instead of paying attention to the figure coming closer, I grab my crappy iPod out of my drawstring backpack. Putting in my headphones, I decide to listen to a bit of Pierce the Veil. I turn to see if the close coming extraterrestrial was still near, I make out the figure as Ashton.

Anxiety sprawls throughout my entire body, although I don't let it show. He starts to walk closer. My hands tremble, not being prepared for this. I look down at my iPod, and turn down the music.

"Hey Blondie," he said with confidence.

"Hi," I weakly replied.

I awkwardly stare at him, and he stares back. His face different up close then in pictures he posts on his Instagram account, or from across the lunch room. It's prettier. He's got these worry lines that give him character, but at the same time he's flawless.

We look at each other until he sits down on the bottom row and pulls out a pair of headphones and a small iPhone, that I can only assume is quite a bit old. After a few minutes he gets up and starts making laps around the track, my eyes following him.