Chapter Fourteen: To Belong Anywhere, You Must First Belong Nowhere

Music is "Light of the Seven" by Ramin Djawadi from the Game of Thrones season 6 OST.

Picture #1 is Tuppence Middleton as Elaine Maximoff.

Picture #2 is unknown as Glory's cover.

Picture #3 is Miura Haruma as Pietro's cover.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"One of the most valuable skills in espionage is the unteachable ability to belong anywhere. The other edge of what is the unfortunate truth: To belong anywhere, you must first belong nowhere."

- Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

We make it out of the city rather quickly, easily finding a quiet route through the back roads of a rather busy city. You'd think after all the aliens and superheroes flying around in cities all over the globe that people would get over seeing a downed vehicle from space, but that's not the case. They still flock, they still get in the way of our work, and they still look at us funny when they see a flying redheaded woman, a man who can run faster than sound, and a girl riding a flying lioness.

Okay, maybe I would, too.

Somewhere along the line, we find a pawn shop, changing in all the golden accessories we wear for whatever money we can get. It's not like it rains from the sky, and we're about as far away as we can get from our Sokovian bank. I don't have cash or my cards on me, and even if I did, we look completely different to anyone else who sees us. After the pawn shop, we find a store run by a lovely hispanic woman. She greets us with her foreign language, flashing a smile. I nod back, and the three of us find different clothes than what we wear now. Since we left in such a hurry, we didn't have time to get our Earthly clothes back on; I didn't even have time to change from my golden sleeping gown.

I take the easiest route when it comes to clothing: leggings, T-shirt, tennis shoes, and beanie, all in dark colors with exception of the golden T-shirt. I grab a backpack to keep our things in and pull my dark brown hair, with red roots showing, into two, low pigtails under the L.A. Dodgers beanie. The curls are messy and unruly, so it's best just to let them do their own thing. I look at myself in the mirror, seeing a Hispanic woman in her early thirties. She wears my clothes and has my same curly ringlets, but she has dark caramel skin, darker hair, and deep brown eyes. "I'm channeling my inner Luke Cage," I mumble to myself, pulling at the golden T-shirt. "My realms, I am still a huge nerd."

"Luke who?" Elaine asks from the dressing room beside mine

"Never mind. Don't tell your father he was right." I gather up my old clothing. "I'll never hear the end of it."