Chapter Twelve

"Why are you looking at the horoscopes?"

"Why are you in my house?" Jake fired back at Kayleigh from where she was sat curled up in the corner of his sofa.

Kayleigh shrugged her shoulders resting her chin on her knees. "You have better channels than I do." She said focussing her eyes on the TV. Jake didn't mention the fact that he knew Jayden had some university friends over today.

"I have better everything than you do." Jake said instead, flashing Kayleigh and easy grin that made her roll her eyes.

"Hey Jake, can I ask you something?" Kayleigh asked eventually, making Jake frown.

"What is it with people asking me that lately?"

"What?"

Jake shook his head. "Never mind." He dismissed. "What do you want to ask about?"

Kayleigh went quiet again, a deep crease appearing between her eyebrows as if she were debating if she really wanted to ask the question at all.

"You parents." She answered after several beats of silence.

Jake blinked. "What about them?"

Kayleigh swallowed. "You don't have to answer."

Jake raised an eyebrow, just waiting for her to actually get the question out at all.

"Say," Kayleigh paused, clearly struggling. "If your dad, your real dad, suddenly got in contact with you...would you talk to him?"

Jake's jaw tightened, but he tried his best not to glare at all in Kayleigh's direction, instead he stared intently at the floor. "I honestly don't know. It wouldn't happen." Jake answered after a hesitant pause."Why do you ask?"

Kayleigh shrugged her shoulders.

"Is your dad trying to contact you?" He asked.

Kayleigh quickly shook her head. "No." She blurted out quickly. "He's...no." She shook her head again. "It's actually..."

"Your mum." Jayden guessed.

This time instead of trying to deny it Kayleigh winced.

Jake let out a long sigh. "What's Jayden said?"

Kayleigh smiled a little, a small huff of air escaping her lungs in an attempt at a laugh. "He...doesn't like her." She admitted. "But he's promised he'll come with me if I want to go."

Jake smiled a bit. That definitely sounded like his cousin.

"I think I'd probably go see him." Jake admitted. "Just to know."

Kayleigh stayed quiet.

"And probably for a chance to yell at him too." He added.

Kayleigh attempted a smile.

"Yeah." She agreed.

"Plus you'll always have Jayden."

This time a smile did form on Kayleigh's face.

Jake grimaced. "You're so in love." He complained.

"Oh shut up." Kayleigh sniped. "Here I was about to tell you you were getting quite good at this giving advice thing."

Jake stuck out his tongue.

Kayleigh snorted. "Mature."

"I know I am but what are you?"

"That's supposed to be the other way around."

"Says you."

"Says everyone."