Chapter II

We left the north for the west

I found myself in another train station. The journey took more than eight hours and we arrived at the same time with the sunset. I was glad that my legs were still working, because for me it was a living hell to stay on a seat for half of a day.

My mother pretended to be asleep the entire time and I knew that she was avoiding a discussion about my grandparents and our future in that town. I didn't bother her. Matt was playing with a small car made of wood that our father created for his birthday, and I read until my eyes became as numb as my feet.
I tried to get some rest, but it was a constant uneasiness who was playing with my thoughts. I admired the landscape and for so many times I wanted to leave that train and took a closer look at that view. Tiny houses splattered on hills, people or just colours who were walking, I couldn't see clearly, but it was like a painting with life in it, where everyone was far away from the harsh words, big cities and trains.
It was the temptation, to run away, but also I couldn't imagine myself completely disconnected from the world, my family. When you are eighteen years old you know almost nothing about life, and is a scary impulse that would made you to consider that you do.

'Hold my hand, Matt. ' my mother said, her fingers moving to grab my brother's wrist. She was looking pale, and I didn't know if it was just the sadness, the long road or the fact that she was back in her home town.

' Mom, do you know where Mrs. Westwood is living? ' I asked, walking next to my brother, with his fragile hand in mine.

' Yes, is not far from here. 'she stated looking around and then stopping her eyes on me.

' Reyna, my dear.. Please, be careful and don't say anything who could be used against us, or twisted into a terrible way. ' I looked into my mother's eyes and I inclined my head.

' Yes, mom. I have no pleasure into chatting with Mrs. Westwood. That women scared me that time when she visited us, and to be honest I would rather prefer to go home. '

My voice was barley audible because like in any other station, people were talking and sharing greetings with each other.

' Things are complicated, my dear. I will tell you the entire story, but right now we need to protect our family. Promise to show your good manners. ' she pierced me with her gaze and I rolled my eyes, feeling uncomfortable.

' Yes, mom. I will tell them how grateful I am for their kindness . How much I love their furniture, their kids, and of course their carpet. ' I said that with a solemn tone who made my mother to twist her lips into a smile.

' Perfect. 'she leaned forward and placed a kiss on the top of my head. I was ready to embrace her when someone stopped in front of us.

' Mrs. Carter ?' a tall gentleman, around fourty, who was looking like a someone's personal driver, considering that he was constantly glancing toward his car, approached us with a smile.

'Yes. Can I help you with something? 'my mother gained her composer and asked the man, who was measuring me and my brother from head to toe.

' Mrs. Westwood wanted to be sure that you won't have any difficulties in finding her mansion. She sent me here to be your guide. Please, my ladies and young gentleman - the man said opening the car's door- enter inside and let me follow the orders.'

Orders.

The word made me to shiver and I stared involuntary at my mother. She made a subtle sign with her head, and we entered in the car. The automobile it was nothing like the one that we had home. It was more spacious and comfortable. We remained in silence, the driver kept his mouth closed too. The ride was longer than me and even my mother expected. Probably Mrs. Westwood changed her address. I caught a quick glance at the town, but it was impossible to notice everything, it was almost dark outside.

The car stopped with a rumbling sound and Matt grabbed the sleeve of my jacket, his expression was confirming his confusion.

'It's alright, Matt. Come, give me your hand. ' I said, my shoes touching the ground and we walked toward an enormous building. My mother was breathless. It wasn't for sure, the house that she used to remember.
The sun who was ready to disappear , let a last light to room over the mansion and I knew that my life would never be the same.

The gates made of wrought iron were protecting the entrance and the driver opened them for us.

'Welcome to Neamh! '

He said and made a step back.

' Mrs. Westwood is waiting for you. ' the man told us, keeping his eyes on the ground.

' Thank you for helping us. ' my mother said and we followed the man inside the front yard, who was looking like an immense garden.

My heart was threatening to leave my chest and I couldn't swallow the bitterness who was taking over my throat. Matt was gripping my hand, and I couldn't say anything to calm his agitation. I was so proud of him, because he didn't start crying.
The large mahogany doors opened and we stepped inside. A servant took our jackets and we didn't even had time to say something, not even to breathe when an unmistakable voice began to fill the room.

' Welcome in my house! ' Mrs. Westwood said, strolling toward us with languorous moves and with an expression who was mirroring ours. Fake smiles from both of the sides and a small talk who was supposed to be pleasant.
She was looking exactly like how I remembered. Tall, with a slender body covered by a black gown made of lace, a pearl necklace embellishing her throat. She was indeed a women who inspired fear.

' Reyna, you transformed yourself into a pretty young lady, and Matthew - she turned her attention toward my little brother - will be a charming gentleman in a few years . I am sure we will have an excellent relationship. ' her voice was icy and Matt didn't want to stare at her, keeping his eyes on his toy.

' Thank you, Mrs. Westwood. 'I said and I basically pushed my mother to talk.

' Mrs. Westwood-'

'Oh, come on.. Gwen.. You can call me Patricia. We know each other really well. I consider you my friend. '

Hearing her words, and watching my mother's forced smile, I anticipated how hard it would be for us to live in that house.

' Thank you for being so kind. Edmund already started the work on our house. We don't want to be a burden for you, or your family, and when our house will have a roof we will leave immediately. ' my mother said and Mrs. Westwood chuckled studying with her hazel eyes my mother's clothes. She was appearing ready to have a good time and mock us with any occasion.

' Of course. Well, until then - ' her eyes scanned the room, and a half smile appeared on her red lips.

' Carrie , show to our guests their rooms. And make sure that they won't look like this anymore. ' Mrs. Westwood wrinkled her nose in disgust and threw a hand in the air into a theatrical gesture.

' Yes, Mrs. Westwood. 'Carrie didn't dare to state at her, and moved directly to my mother.

' On this way, lady. '

My mother inclined her head and we followed the maid upstairs, still feeling the glances coming from Mrs. Westwood exactly like a thousand knives stabbing our backs.

When the pressure disappeared I was happy that my heart was still beating.