Chapter IV

I woke up struggling for more air, searching the bedroom who was sinking in darkness and shadows

I woke up struggling for more air, searching the bedroom who was sinking in darkness and shadows . The fireplace had no lights left, but it was still warm, or maybe I couldn't sense the change, because my skin was burning. I touched my forehead, using the back of my hand I erased the sweat who took form on my face, on my neck too. The blue nightgown was clinging to my body, caging me and adding more pressure on my lungs.

One step. Two steps.

My feet trembled slightly when my tiptoes touched the floor, the parquet was cold, but it was an welcome sensation.
I strolled toward the wardrobe, and with a fast movement I opened the doors, my eyes crushed on the clothes, and I grabbed the first dress that I touched. In the moonlight I couldn't see clearly the colours, but for sure that gown was black or maybe a dark red. It didn't matter, all I wanted was something comfortable and clean.

The size was perfect, letting me to move freely without looking like a scarecrow. It was cotton, falling nicely on my skin, and I wrapped my arms around myself , feeling the material under my fingertips. The same hyacinth scent hit me, but it wasn't unpleasant, only different.
After I placed the blue nightgown onto the back of a chair across from the bed, I moved toward the window. The moon was immense, making the trees to appear like some beasts escaped form the ancient stories, and even her light couldn't reveal the corners of that garden. It was impossible to see the front gate, and in my mind the house became an endless labyrinth.

Outside the window, the night was numb, the crickets were singing with the wind, and for a second I was there, in a world who was waiting to be discovered, in a time who remained forever lost. I raised my eyes, the sky was clear, a million stars were sleeping on him, and the nature captured my attention. In that moment I wanted to go outside, to feel the breeze on my skin, to inhale the fragile air, but my thoughts were suddenly cut by an unknown figure who took form between the trees. Only a second, that was all that I caught from his appearance, before he vanished in the night. It was a man, or at least that person was dressed like one. A strange feeling was taking over my body, I was shivering. My imagination was playing with my brain and I ran toward my bed, hiding under the blanket, hoping that I would find a peaceful place. I stood in that way until my dreams caught me in their spiderweb, and my fear was replaced by a strange melancholy.

That didn't last for too long, my dreams disappeared and I was awake. I pressed the blanket around me, wishing to be asleep, but instead I remained with my gaze on the ceiling, contemplating. The real trouble appeared when I realized that I needed to use a bathroom.

I groaned, pushing the blanket away.
Carrie told me when she came to check on me, probably at her mistress's order, that the bathroom was around the corner. She also said that no one was living in that part of the mansion , so I shouldn't worry about disturbing someone's sleep.
I only had to walk down the hall, to turn on the left side, to go down the stairs, and the bathroom would appear right in front of me.