Chapter V

     The ghost of a distant light touched my face, and I realized with a groan that it was finally morning. I couldn't sleep in that room, everything was foreign, the smell, the sensation.. It was not my place.

I didn't dare to open my eyes, and instead of starting the day, I waited for a few minutes, covering my head with the cozy blanket,who was a shelter for me and my childish fears the entire night.

A knock on the door startled me and my eyes snapped open, searching the room for a proper dress.

" Who is it? " hearing my words it was like someone was using my mouth, twisting the meaning and adding salt on every letter . I was unused with that question, because back home I wasn't worried about running into a stranger at midnight, or about an unexpected knock at the door at eight in the morning.

"Is me, sweetheart. Can I come in? "

Relief poured over me, and I exhaled letting my worries to vanished .

" Yes, mom. "

She opened the door and stepped inside, her eyes were red, her face tired and pale . I suspected that she had a sleepless night, and I was wondering for the thousand time if coming in that house was a good decision. But sometimes we don't have a choice.

Yes, people were saying that is always a choice. I was tempted to believe in the same illusion, but sometimes is hard to see behind your own misery.

" How's Matt? " I asked, still staring at her uncomfortable position. Something about that room was giving her a bizarre gloom, and my heart was beating faster, watching how her eyes were traveling on the walls .

" He is half awake. He had some trouble sleeping last night. " her voice was distant, trapped in another time, maybe in her youth.

" It's something wrong? " I left the bed, strolling toward her, my hand finding a place on her shoulder.

She smiled for my sake, her fingers brushing the wardrobe like it was made of smoke, and I wanted to know what she was thinking .

" Everything is fine. Is just - " she touched my cheeks and leaned forward until her lips left a soft kiss on the crown of my head.

" Do you know who used to stay in this room? " I asked, not letting her to escape from that question.

She sighted, but not from annoyance, it was a tragic and somehow sweet melancholy covering her face .

" Yes . I used to spend a lot of time in this room. Talking with my friends, helping them to plan their sumptuous parties. "

I couldn't believe that she and Patricia was that close, and then something hit my ears.