~7~

Hermione Greengrass, as it turned out, was cranky when she woke up after sleeping on the couch. The edge of the couch was pressed right into her neck and rubbing away the ache did nothing to relieve her discomfort. 

Daphne had woken her up for breakfast, Blaise nowhere in sight. He had probably gone off to change into something appropriate. "Hermione, we have to get ready for the day. It's 6:45 and Pansy said if we make her eat breakfast alone she's never going to shut up about it."

Hermione sat up and stretched her arms. "She already doesn't shut up," she grumbled. The thought of dealing with Pansy Parkinson this early in the morning was not enticing in the slightest. Today was Sunday, though. Hermione Greengrass was supposed to introduce herself today. 

"Exactly, but she'll be insufferable if we ditch her. Up, up!" Daphne pulled her up by the arm and she was momentarily stunned by the girl's strength. Hermione struggled to find her footing for a moment. Her sister was oblivious to her struggle, instead ushering her to their room where she still had changes of clothes. 

She dressed in silence, not wanting Daphne to bring up the events of last night. Speaking of...

"Daphne?" Hermione called into their room. Her sister looked up from the mirror, a brush in one hand and mascara in the other. She made a noise of acknowledgment before returning to the task at hand. "Are you and Blaise dating?"

The tube of mascara clattered to the desk and Hermione heard her sister mutter a swear under her breath. She straightened her jumper and went to join Daphne in the mirror. Daphne had a brown smudge on her eyelid, a sure sign she had almost poked her eye out. Hermione stifled a laugh. 

"Nothing is going on between Blaise and me! Why would you ask me that?" 

Hermione felt a twinge of doubt and embarrassment. Perhaps she had gotten it wrong and jumped to conclusions? "You two have always seemed pretty cozy. I just thought there might have been something there. Sorry for assuming." She fixed her tie, eyes no longer feeling anxious at the verdant that replaced the scarlet. 

Daphne stood up and clipped some of her hair behind her head. "Blaise and I are close. We know each other better than anyone else." A quiet sigh left her mouth, her eyes suddenly downcast. "I think if something were to happen it would have already. Merlin knows he's had all the time in the world to make a move." She held open the door and waited for her sister to walk through it. Hermione had the grace to feel a little awkward about their interaction.

Hermione wasn't as socially adept as she wanted to be, and she often found herself saying things she shouldn't have. Whether it be her spewing knowledge no one asked for or dismissing other people's feelings in favor of logic, it was a terrible quality the witch had yet to shake off. Harry and Ron had known her long enough to know she didn't mean any harm, and Ginny and Neville were almost fluent in Hermione-speak herself. Maybe she had talked out of turn when jumping to such a conclusion. Even if they were twins, they had only just met. Daphne probably wasn't comfortable sharing something like that with her yet.

The walk to breakfast was quiet. Daphne had reassured her that she didn't do anything wrong, that it was natural to question a friendship like theirs, but Hermione still felt a bit bad. It looked like Daphne had genuine feelings for Blaise and she didn't know it would be a sore spot. 

Pansy, Blaise, and Malfoy were waiting for them at their table. Pansy had her arms crossed over her chest and was rolling her eyes at something Draco said, while Blaise was next to her and watching on in barely concealed amusement. 

"Good morning," Daphne sat down on the other side of Pansy, leaving Hermione to find the closest available seat. Next to Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Lovely.