~12~

She did not, in fact, have this whole operation under control.

What she did have was detention.

She actually got detention.

It was Quidditch day, the first game of the season. Tryouts came and went and Astoria pulled together a good looking team for the upcoming season, at least, that's what Blaise said.

None of her other friends had joined the team this year so they were all happy to support from the stands. Hermione was excited to see Astoria in her element. Daphne told her it was intense to see such a young girl put that much heart into something but from the way she played it was clear their little sister's happy place was zipping through the air.

The first game was Slytherin versus Gryffindor. Harry opted out of playing and instead helped Ginny train her new players, so she didn't expect to see him out on the pitch. She assumed Ron would be playing, though.

Her friends sat front row for the first game. The seventh years were determined to be the loudest ones in their section so they were all huddled in the front and blocking the smaller kids.

The match started with introductions of the teams. They screamed for everyone on the Slytherin team, but they were considerably louder for Astoria's captain introduction. Hermione made sure to scream just as loud for Ginny's introduction. She couldn't wait to see the two of them competing!

It wasn't until Ron flew up to the pitch that Pansy pinched her elbow. Hermione hissed in pain and glared at her. "What?"

Pansy pointed at Ron. "How would you feel about being a little more obvious with your deceptions?"

Hermione looked back and forth from the smirk on Pansy's face to the Gryffindor Keeper. She knew what Pansy was asking.

She and Draco have been gradually getting more and more lovey dovey. They have yet to go all out, but now would be as good a time as any. There's no way Ron wouldn't see it.

Now only could she get back at Ron for being a prat, she'd throw him off his game. Was this a petty idea? Sure. Was she going to do it anyway? She didn't see why not. 

Hermione looked at the boy next to her. Draco looked good. His hair was tousled from the wind and he had the starting formations of smile lines at the corners of his mouth. It was a stark contrast to the beginning of the year when his face was smooth as marble. It made him more attractive to her, more...human.

She linked her fingers with his. He grinned at her and went back to watching the game. Across the pitch, she could see Ron glancing at her. With the hand that was in Draco's, she used a finger to move a strand of hair out of her face, effectively showing off their joined hands. Ron clenched his jaw and looked away. 

Hermione threw a thumbs up Pansy's way, but she did not look impressed. For the rest of the first quarter of the game, they shared little moments like that. Draco would pick her up and spin her when their house scored, Hermione would lean up and kiss his cheek, Draco would kiss the back of her hand. Ron progressively got more sloppy with his gameplay. 

He had let Slytherin make four points because he was too focused on the couple across the pitch from him. Every time he looked up, the couple was doing something cute. It made him absolutely sick. 

Once the scores were tied, Pansy nudged Hermione again. Hermione knew what Pansy was trying to say, but she wasn't sure if she could do it. The last person she kissed was Ron and that had been after they won the war. What if she forgot how to do it? Or if Draco didn't want to? 

Ron was staring at them again.

Hermione knew she had to act fast. If she waited too long, she would psych herself out and she was a Gryffindor at heart, dammit! She could be brave.