Chapter 4

Arylyn and Elowen were completely silent as the space craft began to leave the atmosphere. The only sound was a systematic beep. Both teens were immersed in their thoughts, How would they survive? Would they see any of the others sent? What would be at Alatheia?

"What are we going to do?" Arylyn whined.

"Pull yourself together." Elowen replied, her tone stone cold. Her posture was completely stiff and her eyes were focused only on the controls.

Arylyn rolled his eyes at the girl. "Will you calm down, Jupiter Cristan. If we have to go there I'd like it to be somewhat pleasant." Elowen scoffed.

"Yes, going to a planet no one has ever come back from. How pleasant! I can't believe my pessimism." Sarcasm was dripping from her voice.

Arylyn was about to say something, but was silenced by his partner's glare. He put his hands up in innocence. "Sheesh, sorry."

Elowen rolled her eyes, but sighed. "Will you please just pay attention!" Her attention was back at the controls as she programmed their flight.

Arylyn began to walk around the cabin and make sure the air pressure and other settings were right. "Are you done yet?" He asked, dragging out his words. Elowen hit the final set button and turned to look at her partner.

"You're going to die before we even get there." She growled.

"I was probably going to anyways." He said with a grin. She shook her head.

"I don't know how I'm going to refrain from gouging your eyes out." Elowen observed, her tone incredibly casual.

"Aren't you just the biggest ball of sunshine." Arylyn responded with an obnoxious grin.

"At least I didn't almost blow up a planet!" She retorted, mentioning what had got them in this mess. Arylyn didn't respond, but instead looked out a clear spot of the space craft. The craft flew by stars and their system.

"How long will it be until we get to Alatheia?" He said after a moment. Elowen snorted.

"If we make it long enough to get there, about four centuries?"

"Double our last trip?!" He groaned, "This is going to take forever!"

"Not forever, four centuries." She sassed.

"Might as well get part of it over with."

Elowen nodded and went to the cabinet to grab two filled syringes. She handed one to Arylyn and kept the other for herself.

The pair then walked over to the two twin beds and sat. With practiced accuracy the needles were placed in position over veins. Injected, the two began to drowsily get under the covers.

Eyelids closed, the only sounds were even breathing and the slow beeps of the craft.